Author Topic: Driving from England to Turkey  (Read 8780 times)

Offline Pompeylil

Driving from England to Turkey
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 19:05:00 PM »
Great reading, thanks for the postings, we are going to drive to Calis this summer,  just in the process now of trying to sort car insurance, green card and road side assistance (just in case) any tips on this would be greatfully received.
Carol

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 19:09:36 PM »
Yes it is all extremely informative stuff. Thanks all!

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 19:41:09 PM »
France is a very large country to cross. There are hotel chains across the country. F1 are very basic with just a room and showers on each floor which are shared and self cleaning,they are cheap and clean with a breakfast bar in the foyer. B and B Hotels and Campanile are like a Travelodge and the Mercure chain is comfortable too. Chambre de hautes are becoming very popular and are family farm accommodation. In Italy the hotels are more privately owned. On the road signs it took me a while to realise that Turin is Torino in Italy!There is a hotel called the Davide in Rivoli which is comfortable and has a good restaurant nearby.There is also a pleasant family owned villa which is called Cascina Bella Vista and offers accommodation and breakfast which is on the route past Turin at a village called Brico Barrano in the Asti area.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 19:47:52 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 19:46:00 PM »
Before you enter Turkey fill your car with petrol as it is much cheaper in Greece. We were paying about 1.42 euros. At today's rate about about 1.15 sterling and much cheaper than turkey.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 20:19:56 PM »
Make sure you have the European motoring kit or you can be fined and also the EHIC health insurance card for Europe. :)

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 06:24:58 AM »
Hi, Re the roadside assistance you might like to include ADAC,its a German based company but with very strong back up across Turkey as well as Eu.good luck

Offline MarkPatterson

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 09:11:02 AM »
This is something I'd like to do!  I would imagine though that the Bulgarian route would be much quicker.

I wouldn't mind doing the German, Austrian, Slovakian, Bulgarian route into Istanbul going to Tukey and then coming back from Fethiye or Izmir and crossing on the ferry to Greece and then on to Italy and up through France.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »
The Bulgarian and Greek routes are fun, especially when looking for direction signs, because they use different alphabets to us.

Offline Eric

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 10:18:18 AM »
Plus in Bulgaria the speed limit is 50kph on all none motorway routes and there is a speed trap on virtually every bend.  We have done it once, never again, we will do the Greece route every time.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 10:37:07 AM »
It might sound like a daft question but did people who drove across Europe find that their European Satnav maps (for those who used satnav) were reliable and accurate? I find myself driving along a road that doesn't exist on screen every time I go to Edinburgh airport and was wondering if anyone had any confusion along this drive across the continent?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf