Author Topic: Tourists in Fethiye are the ‘freeloaders' from UK  (Read 6629 times)

Offline scouser2swife

Tourists in Fethiye are the ‘freeloaders' from UK
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 12:21:54 PM »
I wanted to buy hubby a piece of jewellery for his birthday. I priced the item i wanted in Fethiye, and the price was too much.
I ended up buying it in the U.K for £170 cheaper. U.K definately cheaper for gold.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 12:24:48 PM »
Freeloader!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 12:25:35 PM »
Not surprised they can't sell gold. We looked at a very fine 14ct gold chain for Maggie and the guy in Fethiye wanted 180ytl! Now I know gold is expensive but this was bottom end stuff -very fine and no weight at all as it is to replace one she broke and goes through a small diamond pendant. When we said it was too expensive he just put it away. His loss. Not sure which shop it was as there are so many.

Offline scouser2swife

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 12:30:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Freeloader!

;):D
no just careful.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
Gold = too expensive
Carpets = too heavy
T shirts = rubbish

You don't have to be a freeloader to see that the 'traditional' holiday buys in Turkey haven't had a good time for a while. Plus things are so cheap in the UK now, and often far better quality.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 13:08:27 PM »
I left a comment on the link page but its not shown up as yet!
Scunner you are right, things have become cheaper here so there's no incentive to buy it abroad now

ah yes, its there now
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 14:03:12 PM by Toky »

Offline Mr Pickles

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 14:27:34 PM »
I'll stick to buying carrots from the veggie market and definately not carats from Eternity Gold and Diamond :D

Offline Lindar

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 20:19:31 PM »
I don't think that these resorts in Turkey have ever been the destination of the very wealthy English but perhaps I am mistaken. My perception is that Turkey for many years has been a holiday choice for an average or perhaps lower income family. Not so much now but in the past those looking for something a bit different from the rest of Europe and people that want a cultural experience and an adventure. So those same people and new ones are still visiting but with less money in our pockets than ever due to things being tougher back home. So I am sure that Turkey is suffering due to our lack of spending now but those working in tourism certainly have no right to consider us freeloading! whilst we keep all our money back home stashed away eh!! I wish. I personally can't even afford a holiday this year, like many others I am sure, let alone buy gold.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 20:42:13 PM »
Just a few years back, CBF had many posts and topics about jewellery they had bought in Turkey and had valued in the UK with very pleasing results. In 2010 we are now reading about people buying in the UK £170 cheaper, or not buying in Turkey because the price was obviously too high.

I have a feeling it has a lot less to do with freeloaders and more to do with price loaders. Gold is gold surely, how did it go from being so much cheaper than the UK to way more expensive, in just a few years? I'd buy a golden egg, but fear the goose is possibly long dead.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 21:37:32 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Just a few years back, CBF had many posts and topics about jewellery they had bought in Turkey and had valued in the UK with very pleasing results

We always found that to be the case.

As a contrast to Eternity Gold & Diamond, Brenda took a ring back to Infinity in the hope that they may be able replace a missing stone of three. This they did without fuss and without charge even although the ring was bought some considerable time ago. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf