Author Topic: Why Calis?--Why Turkey?  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Brianbern

Why Calis?--Why Turkey?
« on: July 19, 2010, 05:19:20 AM »
Forgive me if I use the facilities of the Forum to broadcast a few thoughts and observations which might persuade others to holiday in this remarkable resort.
My daughter recently joined us on holiday here in the Oykun Hotel and yesterday she fainted by the pool. The staff and residents of this Hotel have been extremely supportive. She was taken to the Esnaf Hospital suffering from concussion and she has been detained overnight for observation.
Her treatment has been extremely thorough with an interpreter summoned to explain every detail of procedure. My wife and daughter's boyfriend have stayed overnight in the hospital in a clean and air-conditioned room.
A couple of weeks ago I met a fellow resident of the Oykun Hotel who was walking with some difficulty. He told me that he had hurt his back not in some risk-taking activity but simply by straightening up too quickly while shaving. This mishap occurred 5 days into his holiday and he was full of praise towards everyone at the hotel and hospital. Both he and his wife were adamant that they would be returning to Calis at the earliest opportunity. Little did I know that I too would be relying on that same outpouring of support and good will.
Over the many years coming here we have seen the same faces returning to this resort. They come not only to bask in the radiant sunshine but to absorb the warmth and intrinsic goodness of the people (even if they don't yet recognize this truth).
Their familial concern is genuine and is deeply embedded in their culture and religion.
I have experienced many examples throughout the years, both personal and related to me by others, which encapsulate this precious and invigorating quality. Whether in a restaurant or hotel you feel that you and your family's experience of Calis in particular and Turkey in general is of prime concern.There is no veneer or sheen of "Have-a-good-dayness"
Aristotle once said-" One friend is the antidote for 50 enemies"
When times are difficult and the perils of winter assail you, find comfort in the joys found in this hospitable country.
Speak to the people but more importantly listen to them, engage with them and be enriched with their, oftimes severely tested, innate sense of hospitality.
I know if you are reading this you probably have similar feelings towards Calis and Turkey and any bad experiences are greatly outweighed by good ones.
I feel exceptionally fortunate that my family and I have been able to holiday here for so long.
Cheers---and (lang may yer lum reek)
Brian and Bernadette  :)

Offline dycedon

Why Calis?--Why Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 06:32:26 AM »
Great post and its still reekin.

Offline julesbob0303

Why Calis?--Why Turkey?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
What a lovely post.  Just can't wait to be back in Calis and amongst the lovely friendly people (ten days and counting!)   :)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Why Calis?--Why Turkey?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:53:25 AM »
Beautifully put Brianbern.   (I hope your daughter is fully recovered).

Offline Brianbern

Why Calis?--Why Turkey?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 16:43:21 PM »
Thanks for all the kind wishes---my daughter is back in the hotel and looking forward to the rest of her holiday. Her holiday snaps are x-rays but she was very lucky.
The hospital have interpreters and everything is explained thoroughly.
I hope you never have recourse to be admitted but if you do or someone close to you does, you know you will be looked after.
The hospital was extremely busy and the staff were excellent.
Brian

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Why Calis?--Why Turkey?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 17:01:40 PM »
Glad to hear she's on the mend Brian and thank you too for such a thoughful post.

Offline Piscoe

Why Calis?--Why Turkey?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 18:01:01 PM »
A lovely post that perfectly sums up our sentiments exactly

Offline cheers

Why Calis?--Why Turkey?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 18:19:37 PM »
:D:D:D

Offline Kazzie

Why Calis?--Why Turkey?
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 19:11:19 PM »
lovely post i hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Offline marina

Why Calis?--Why Turkey?
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 21:16:02 PM »
What a lovely post, made me feel quite emotional - and wishing I was back in the lovely Oykun - and Calis :(

Glad to hear your daugher is feeling much better and hope you all enjoy the rest of your holiday :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf