Author Topic: Koycegiz - the New Ibiza  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Koycegiz - the New Ibiza
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »
At the lakeside restaurants don't ask for any butter because when I did I got charged an extra 10 TL for 3 little sachets.

It is a nice town and you can cruise across the lake right down through Dalyan to Caretta Caretta Beach. It is like being in the African Queen movie as the boat sails through the reeds.

There is a very good market on a Monday. The stalls take over about half the town. Unfortunately the town does not look its best now and has become a little run down. It was an important tourist spot for Turks in the 60s and 70s because the President of Turkey went there on holiday. After he died it fell out of fashion.It is still a lovely town and has such a peaceful way of life.  

The area is famous for fruit and there are 100s on the roadside selling oranges, grapefruit and other citrus fruits very cheaply. A marmalade makers heaven

We liked the town so much that we bought a building plot with a lake view.We had 30 fruit tress on this plot and every time we visited we could not find one piece of fruit.The locals harvested them and sold them. I was totally happy that they did this to stop the fruit from going to waste and also it was good for the trees.

One day when I visited the plot there was this sort of a big wooden gate erected. I knocked it down to get into the land and a man came charging up to me waving a big stick and he was most agitated that I knocked the gate down. He had 14 goats grazing on the plot. He called the police and they came and questioned me. When I told them that I owned it the goat herder went off muttering to himself. I got the police to tell him that I did not have a problem with the goats being on the land and that he could continue to keep them there but not to threaten me with a stick.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:36:01 AM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Koycegiz - the New Ibiza
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
:D

Well, apart from having something to eat or staring out at the lake, there is nothing to do in Koycegiz. That is why we liked it I think.

Offline marina

Koycegiz - the New Ibiza
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 10:47:09 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

:D

Well, apart from having something to eat or staring out at the lake, there is nothing to do in Koycegiz. That is why we liked it I think.

Yes, that's the bit that sounds like my kind of place - spend a few hours sitting and watching the world (what there is of it there) go by with a nice meal and a few Efes (cheap or not!  ;))

Offline Jenny1

Koycegiz - the New Ibiza
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 14:38:19 PM »
Sounds heavenly to me too!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Koycegiz - the New Ibiza
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 14:51:19 PM »
I remember asking for the menu in one restaurant (may have been Cicek?) and the reply was "Menu is steak or chicken or fish". That was it and you just made your choice, no details on what they would do with it, just wait till it was cooked and brought to the table. Always lovely though. I do remember once during the health scare a few years back being told that the menu was "steak or chicken or fish, but no chicken because of bird flu".

Offline Old Daffodil

Koycegiz - the New Ibiza
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »
There is a village square near to the lake and mosque,occasionally they will build a small wooden stage and have things like a formal classical recital by a small group of musicians.

At the far end of the lake away from the shops is a camp site. Once when I was there the scouts held an international rally on it. I have never been into the camp site so can't say what standards are like. If you are facing the lake it is to the right.

I like the Monday market. The stalls are scattered around the town and among the shops.

Offline SteveandSue

Koycegiz - the New Ibiza
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 13:48:53 PM »
The waterfront has been recently renovated. The square concrete paving blocks have been replaced with tiles and marble mosaics of turtles, anchors and dolphins. Very nice indeed. SnS

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Koycegiz - the New Ibiza
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 13:51:38 PM »
Calm & tranquil Koycegiz, I know it well: {A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}18366

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Koycegiz - the New Ibiza
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 08:01:13 AM »
A Cauationary Tale

Last time we were in Koycegiz I ate a trout at one of the low tables in a little cafe on the lake front. It was one of the nicest fishes I have eaten. Unfortunately the local street cats shared my opinion of the fish and were soon crowding around the table with a waiter listlessly and  ineffectually trying to shoo them away. When I was moving a forkful of trout to my mouth one cat, more aggressive than the rest, struck out. He leapt up and made a snatch at the fish. He missed the fish and caught me instead inflicting deep gashes across two fingers. Immediately they began to gush blood and continued to do so for ten minutes. I tried to stem the flow with paper napkins. Then I was packed off to the toilet to wash out the cuts. When I returned a chap from the next table came over with a bottle of antiseptic that he happened to have and poured the purple liquid over my fingers. Waiting until this dried he next produced a packet of sticking plasters and finished my treatment. Very handy to have him around. The waiter stood by shaking his head, shrugging and saying ruefully "Ah. Street cats" as if they, like earthquakes or volcanoes, were irresistible forces of nature.

I recommend taking care.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Koycegiz - the New Ibiza
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
AH but you see, some people would get very annoyed at the waiter if he shooed the poor street cats away.  In his situation, he can't win  8)

LOL, I am wondering if that well kitted out man also likes fish.  -And knowing what can happen, comes well prepared.  Maybe motorcycle wear (leathers and gauntlet gloves) would be apt when eating the fish.

PS, I hope your finger heals well Colwyn.  Sorry forgot to say  :-\
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:14:37 AM by Rindaloo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf