Author Topic: Calis Beach Over-rated?  (Read 16124 times)

Offline Mustaffapint

Calis Beach Over-rated?
« on: July 27, 2010, 14:03:50 PM »
Just returned from my first trip to Calis Beach.  Whilst I had a pretty good time I can not see the attraction of returning here year after year, and I for one will not be back.

From arriving at the airport one is felt to be subject to extortion as they take £10 a head just to enter the country.

Stayed in the Hotel Pelin which I have no complaints about except for perhaps the various "mistakes" in drinks bills.  

However the resort of Calis Beach could only be described as scruffy, and in some places verging on dirty and smelly.   The beach is a disappointment with what is murky sea, and a grey soily/gravelly litter strewn beach.   All restuarants visited were below par even for Turkey.  One restraunteur grabing a Turkish menu out my hand and replacing it with an "english" menu with tourist prices that were at least double.
In general, it would seem that  most Turkish locals  are only pleasant whilst they eagerly try to rip you off.   There is a problem with gropers or at least one groper I noticed was following us and suddenly tried it on with my 15 year old daughter.  Disappointingly this was in front of many local shopkeepers who obviously noticed and  who must know of this persistent offender but did nothing to warn or chase the pervert off before he had a chance to strike.  Again the impression is that  many locals only care about tourists if you are handing over TL.

The final insult is the prices charged at the airport for food and drink - unbelievable!  As customs do not allow you to take drink into the departure lounge you are trapped with airport prices and just as arriving, you depart feeling totally conned.

Are my family and I the only ones who feel this way?

Offline BM06

Calis Beach Over-rated?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 14:08:42 PM »
Welcome to Turkey ;):D This could be interesting wheres me helmet dear,:D:D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 14:10:57 PM by BM06 »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Calis Beach Over-rated?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 14:09:27 PM »
I think on this website you possibly are. We like the "scruffy" rough around the edges feel of Calis. You should have seen it a few years back! With the disrespectful user name you chose I suppose it was always on the cards that you wouldn't quite fit in. The £10 visa and airport prices have nothing to do with Calis whatsoever, so irrelevant to your opinion on the resort. Have you tried Magaluf?

Offline Mustaffapint

Calis Beach Over-rated?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 14:16:47 PM »
And your user name is obviously matched to your feeble attempts to "scunner" people.  Sorry but you must realise by now that it doesn't work - my user name is meant as a joke, I am not a beer swilling english yob and neither have I been to Magaluf, not that it is any of your business! There is no charm to place that is rough round the edges due to people who do not know how to keep a place clean and tidy. LOL

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Calis Beach Over-rated?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 14:19:36 PM »
Well, as you won't be back, who really cares. Great joke "mustaffapint", I've never heard any joke remotely like that in all the years I've been going to Turkey. Hilarious! Oh, and it is my business by the way "mustaffa" as you wrote on a public forum it is everyone's business now!

Offline Gavos999

Calis Beach Over-rated?
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 14:27:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Mustaffapint
Are my family and I the only ones who feel this way?

err YES!!

Offline starman™

Calis Beach Over-rated?
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 14:35:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Mustaffapint
From arriving at the airport one is felt to be subject to extortion as they take £10 a head just to enter the country.

I guess you have not travelled to many countries then outside the EU. Maybe your username should be changed to mustaffabrain?

Offline Diverbaz 1

Calis Beach Over-rated?
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 14:36:12 PM »

Must normally be 5* AI stay in the hotel type. Doesn't appreciate the real thing.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Calis Beach Over-rated?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 14:41:08 PM »
Firstly you point out you have been to Turkey before, so you will realise it not just Dalaman that charge £10.00 for a visa.   I cannot think where you had been eating in Turkey before, but to say the restaurants in Calis are below par astonishes me.  In this area of Turkey all the ingredients of meals are lovely and fresh, with vegetables tasting nothing like the U.K.   The prices in all restaurants in Calis are in our opinion, really cheap.  Of course, they all cater for the British and we all know what the prices are, the waiters take great pains to point out the prices which are all displayed outside Restaurants.   I cannot see the point of giving you a British Menu at double the prices, when customers are 95% British, but if this happened please name and shame the Restaurant  that I assume you walked out of?  
I know that there has been a great effort to clean the beach this year, and the sea always looks lovely to us, and I am sure the Dolphins and Turtles would not survive in a "murky sea"
As for perverts, my daughter was in Italy and had men speaking to her and even pinching her bottom, so I don't think Turkey is unique for this problem.
I can say one of the reasons we love Calis is the Turkish friends we have made, they do not all want to rip us off.  We have had many acts of kindest from Turkish people.
Lastly, the Airport is expensive, we all know that, but name me an Airport that is cheap?   If you go into the V.I.P. lounge you can eat and drink as much as you want, and it works out much cheaper.  
Sorry, you don't like it, you are in the minority, but, I suppose Calis cannot please everyone, however, there are so many people coming to Calis all the time that we will not miss you when you don't return.    
I believe they fly from Glasgow to Tenerife.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Calis Beach Over-rated?
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 14:41:45 PM »
I went on a Robbie Williams fan forum with the question "Robbie Williams Over-rated?" I didn't get much support to be honest.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf