Author Topic: Nationwide ....... Again  (Read 11613 times)

Offline sadler

Nationwide ....... Again
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2010, 21:34:57 PM »
Don't know if I am being absolutely thick here, but I cannot recall being given the option of drawing pounds sterling from an ATM in Calis or Fethiye.  Am I missing something?[?]

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Nationwide ....... Again
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2010, 21:59:20 PM »
Certain banks namely HSBC and TEB give the option here in the vicinity of Fethiye of drawing in GBP, Euros or Lira.

So those of us with a Flex account can avoid all charges by drawing in Sterling and getting a better rate changing it at our bank here.

Even the shops here offer a better rate than the exchange rate your bank will give you in the UK or via your cashpoint card overseas if you draw in Turkish lira. So it still makes sense to take your GBP out here and then change them here.

In Istanbul you would have the option of US$ instead of GBP. We have this advantage locally because there are a lot of Brits and HSBC and TEB make GBP a currency available through their ATMs.

Hope this makes sense  :)

Offline marina

Nationwide ....... Again
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2010, 22:03:17 PM »
 :) don't think you're thick Sadler.  

We've been able to draw sterling from the cash machine by the water taxis on a few occasions, presumably when the machine is stocked with it.  However, sometimes it hasn't give you the option of sterling just lira or euros so maybe that's always been the case when you've wihdrawn your cash.  

Maybe [?]

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Nationwide ....... Again
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2010, 06:07:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by marina

:) don't think you're thick Sadler.  

We've been able to draw sterling from the cash machine by the water taxis on a few occasions, presumably when the machine is stocked with it.  However, sometimes it hasn't give you the option of sterling just lira or euros so maybe that's always been the case when you've wihdrawn your cash.  

Maybe [?]

The point is the charge with Nationwide for withdrawing the sterling abroad has been stopped, not the availability of sterling in the machines.

Offline marina

Nationwide ....... Again
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »
I realise that was the start of this topic but was answering Sadlers comment about not being given the option of being able to draw sterling at a cash machine in Calis/Fethiye!

Offline sadler

Nationwide ....... Again
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 17:28:29 PM »
Precisely, we do have a Nationwide Flex account, but have no recollection of being given the option of drawing anything other than Turkish lire from the ATMs we have used; so much so, that on our last visit, we took cash with us and changed it up at the jewellers in Calis, risking burglary at the apartment.

Our thanks to Nichola and Marina for understanding our query and giving very informative answers and  - Gorgeous Bird it is so many aggressive posts like yours which put others off from submitting to this very informative forum!!:(

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Nationwide ....... Again
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 17:43:43 PM »
Pah aggressive do me a favour!

Offline sadler

Nationwide ....... Again
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 17:55:54 PM »
Apology accepted[?]

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Nationwide ....... Again
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 17:59:21 PM »
Accepted thanks

Offline Firo

Nationwide ....... Again
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 18:00:57 PM »
Has anyone actually drawn GBP in Fethiye since 1st Nov and checked that it was at NO CHARGE on a statement?
I asked the Nationwide if this was possible, in Oct this year, as per my previous post and the reply was...No, ANY transactions abroad would be charged whatever the currency drawn.
So back to my first question has anyone withdrawn GBP in Turkey since 1st Nov 2010 and not been charged on their statement?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 18:07:49 PM by Firo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf