Author Topic: carol a tayfun  (Read 16383 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
carol a tayfun
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »
Well yes me too, I won't be doing any risky excursions [:o]

My point is that many people have to put their faith in the provider, because they are trying something new. That's the problem with new things, we don't know much about them or what to look for, and need the provider to take his responsibility seriously.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
carol a tayfun
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 13:18:07 PM »
We did the tree top wire thingy in Thailand (twice) and the safety measures in place we excellent. All the harnesses were in tip top condition and we have to wear correctly fitting hard hats and were hooked onto a safety wire at all times. OK it's only like 60ft up in the air and you have got trees to break your fall - so I guess it's not really high risk is it?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
carol a tayfun
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 13:34:44 PM »
Could kill a child if the safety isn't in place - so I guess it is high risk in the wrong hands.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
carol a tayfun
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 14:03:54 PM »
Yes it is - but only if risks or shortcuts are taken.

Would do it again tomorrow as well  :)

Offline Judith

carol a tayfun
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 14:06:39 PM »
Scunner, what are YOU talking about?

The similarity is that these people, although they sensed from the outset, and had evidence that this situation was not right regarding safety or animal welfare, still went ahead.
This is what I find so difficult to understand too.

They should have made their views clear, demanded a refund from the venue and walked away in disgust.Even reported their concerns to relevant authorities.

Why, if you have any doubts, go through with the activity, and put yourself or children at risk.

As previously said by my post, Yes the activity venues have  great responsibilties to protect and care for you and the animals. This  matter should be taken seriously.
But this family realised from the start that this was not the case.

The reason it is a shame that I do not have any influence in descision making in the tourism buisiness sector here,  is because, I would stop, at once, every activity that abuses animals for profit, in the name of entertainment.

But as you know Scunner, I am trying my best.
The animals have no voice in these matters.

If tourists did the sensible thing and walked out, instead of taking part in any activity where they have doubts about animal welfare, or safety issues, we might be able to make a difference.

surely you cannot argue with that!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
carol a tayfun
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 14:26:15 PM »
I'm sorry, my question was why do you find my comment repugnant. People who enter a pool that is full of dolphin sh** are morons. Can you once and for all indicate where you feel my comment was repugnant.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
carol a tayfun
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 14:31:51 PM »
this is excellent material for an up coming column on resposible or should that be irresposible tourism

thanks guys  ;) :D

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
carol a tayfun
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 15:16:47 PM »
Responsibility does not land at the tourists feet to ask for their money back if they are not happy with the product they have been sold,
The responsibilty lies with the agents/tour operators to make sure what they are selling is the real thing, ie decent safety equipment, competent trained staffing at all levels and animal welfare are all paramount.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
carol a tayfun
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 15:26:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

Responsibility does not land at the tourists feet to ask for their money back if they are not happy with the product they have been sold,
The responsibilty lies with the agents/tour operators to make sure what they are selling is the real thing, ie decent safety equipment, competent trained staffing at all levels and animal welfare are all paramount.

Maybe so Tinx - but if the safety equipment is not up to standard then the responsibility lies with the holidaymaker to make a judgment based on what they see.

IMO it's also the holidaymakers responsibility to make sure they do not put their loved ones at risk by booking trips that are clearly unsuitable.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
carol a tayfun
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 15:38:40 PM »
if the safety equipment is not up to standard then the agents shouldn't be selling the tickets!

if you hire a car to someone with faulty brakes, when do they find out its not safe?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 15:59:38 PM by tinkerman »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf