Author Topic: The upside down glass.  (Read 1974 times)

Offline swintonblue

The upside down glass.
« on: August 06, 2010, 14:56:09 PM »
Hi everyone, joined this group in preparation for my trip to Oykun. I have read with interest all the helpful and amusing comments and advice. Thank you one and all. Just got back this morning and I have left Calis with an unanswered question.
When I dined at the numerous restaurants along the front, I noticed that after I had placed my order a glass was placed on my table with the time and date of my arrival and then a bill for Spaghetti and Pizza plus 2 drinks. Now, I enjoy eating as a local when abroad and would not order Spaghetti or Pizza when the Turkish cuisine is so lovely. So, why do waiters put this glass and receipt on my table and not on the tables of Turkish diners? Someone said it is a tax fiddle??? Your worldly advice and answers please![^]

Offline siemli

The upside down glass.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 15:06:04 PM »
i 'think' your right,its something to do with tax..the tax 'officers' often call into the local resturants and check up on things i think it is a fiddle but a harmless one all the same-were you charged?.

when we eat at some of the backstreets cafes they are not allowed to serve us beer soo put our beer on our bill under cola..maybe its something similar to show bosses they are busy?
sorry not much help but its my input all the same lol!

Offline Julesp

The upside down glass.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 15:52:09 PM »
Not exactly a tax fiddle, but by law they have to put a bill on each table to ensure everything goes through the books. Because they are usually busy they put a fake bill on your table just in case the tax inspectors call, but work out your real bill when you leave, it saves them having to add everytime you order extra drinks etc. Laziness really

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The upside down glass.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 16:37:49 PM »
The tax people who visit all the bars must see a bill on each occupied table. Even from the horse's mouth, one said that they don't care what the bill says, as long as they are there. Penalties are served up for not having them - can be a few hundred lira so although not crippling could certainly wipe out the profit of a night's work.

Offline swintonblue

The upside down glass.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 20:16:34 PM »
Thanks guys or girls. That appears to be what I thought it may be, just wondering why the tables that had locals or Turkish diners didn't have them.
In answer to the question was I charged the correct price? The brief answer is that it never really showed a price but we normally ordered more expensive meals anyway so it didn't bother me. Just curious!:D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The upside down glass.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 23:59:38 PM »
Trust me the tax bills in glasses have to be on every occupied table, there is no possibility that local/Turkish diners didn't have a tax bill glass while British diners did - unless they didn't buy anything. One table without a bill, no matter if the customers are Turkish, English or from Jupiter means a fine. What the taxman bill says is irrelevant to what you had or were charged - if you were incorrectly charged this bill is a mock bill and won't hold any answers I'm afraid  :)

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
The upside down glass.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 13:51:19 PM »
Bills in glasses are correct as Keith says,but it is also part of a fiddle.Your bill in your glass should reflect what you buy!But if you buy a beer first,after which you buy a meal the meal will not feature on the paper in the glass.But it will certainly feature on your bill.So it will be no surprise to find lots of beers but not lots of food.Its only the date on the paper that makes the restaurants change them in case they get a visit.But as a lot of turkish people sit at a table and indulge in family chat and buy nothing its a bit difficult for the tax man.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf