Author Topic: Heating Solution Please  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Steve A

Heating Solution Please
« on: October 04, 2010, 20:44:46 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered before,did search but couldnt find an answer.
My mother wants to stay in our 3 bed villa over the winter ie December till April.We dont have any heating only the sort that the reverse AC does but when we used that over the winter it was horrendously expensive.We dont have a working fireplace,would not consider a soba because of the smell etc so wondered if you could by calor gas (or similar) heaters that could be moved around as required as I think the gas would be cheaper than electric and we never usually use the place in the winter so dont want any excessive expense.Has anyone had a similar problem and come up with a reasonable solution ?Does anyone know if you can by a gas heater ? and how much they may be

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Heating Solution Please
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 20:54:14 PM »
AC heat is also pretty transient (is that the right word? - I mean the second you turn it off the heat bu88ers off too!). For winter I'd say the halogen heaters are best - they bang out almighty amounts of heat that sticks around, and of course are fairly portable, at least as moveable as something with a gas bottle in it. I am told UFO are the ones to go for and I am further informed that they are cheaper than nearly all alternatives for winter heating.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Heating Solution Please
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 21:02:54 PM »
I would never have a calor gas heater again, a few years back we had one in our conservatory (in UK) we had all our gas appliances serviced and the calor gas heater reading for carbon monoxide was five times over the safe level (forget the actual readings) the chap condemned the heater and told me to get it out of the house and to the nearest tip! Just my opinion but would never have one again.
Our neighbours in Turkey who live there all year round had a brilliant heater could be what Scunner mentioned it may have been halogen, think they bought it from one of the big supermarkets in Calis.

Offline Julesp

Heating Solution Please
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 21:07:19 PM »
Like you I also used the ac the 1st winter I lived here but it  wasnt very efficient and so expensive, I then bought a calor gas heater But the gas ran out every 4 or 5 days! and again didnt warm the room You had to sit in front of it to feel any heat.
Then moved to an old house and installed a sobe which was nice and warm but dirty and too much work,
Moved again this year and bought one of the UFo electric halogen  heaters, it has a themostat and didnt seem to eat the electric at all, so for me the halogen heaters seem to be the best :D

Offline Steve A

Heating Solution Please
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 22:04:56 PM »
UFO Heater sounds good pardon my ignorance but is this the name or the shape ?Where can I by one in Fethiye/Calis Eren spot maybe ?

Offline Julesp

Heating Solution Please
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 22:15:14 PM »
UFO is the brand name But Migros etc do similar things I think

Offline busybee

Heating Solution Please
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 22:17:41 PM »
Ufo is the make and we got ours from Eren Spot, last year Migros and the other supermarkets sold them.  Could try Kippa.  Shop around and compare prices.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Heating Solution Please
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:17:40 AM »
we bought some halagan heaters over from england and warm the house up a treat

Offline littlereddevil

Heating Solution Please
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »
People say the gas heaters cause a lot of condensation. I have convector heaters which I leave on low when I am out.

Offline cicek girl

Heating Solution Please
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 14:10:00 PM »
I have used the air con on reverse to take the edge off the bedrooms. I bought an electric fire and it worked really well for us. I did'nt find it too expensive either. Although the problem is that the buildings are designed to stay cool. So they do not hold the heat for long.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf