Author Topic: Calis to Boring?  (Read 14990 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Calis to Boring?
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2010, 09:10:21 AM »
Not half

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Calis to Boring?
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2010, 09:18:20 AM »
We don't like Karaoke, clubs and noisy nights, but we love Calis and would never get bored.  It has something for everyone, it has the clubs for those that like them, it has traditional, it has noisy bars, it has quiet bars, it has fab restaurants, it has cheaper Lokantas, it has incredible views, fantastic people.  And if you do manage to get bored during your stay, it is in close proximity to fethiye, hisaranou and olu for a change of scene.  Can't beat it.. ;)  (well actually you can, but dulux i suspect that you most definitely would be bored in Uzumlu, ;):D)

Offline Sleuth

Calis to Boring?
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2010, 12:47:27 PM »
Us Hisaronu `fans`  :)  only retaliate when the Calisites on here without provocation start knocking Hisaronu. ;)

Dulux... if its turkish music you are after at night... Hisaronu now boasts two `Turk bars`  :) I highly recommend them in the season  as its mostly turks who frequent them, plus a  few brits who want to hear turkish music with their effes ( us included )   :) one `turk bar`is above the `golden leaves ` restaurant, and the other one which  is actually called a `taverna` ( its opposite  the  Grand boozey ) in bar street... get in any of  those two after 11.30pm and you wont be disappointed...if thats what your looking for... you might even see us in there :-)  
Also I believe there`s a  turk bar in Fethiye close to the `duck pond` but as yet I have not frequented  that one... If you seek more laid back, and chilled turkish type music evenings, get yourself over to Kaya ( ghost town ) village at night.... mmmmmmmm  , you sure wont hear tom jones and the like  over there :-)
Failing all of that, you may fancy Izmir at night or better still  try a week in Istanbul :-)

Offline geordieboy

Calis to Boring?
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2010, 14:48:23 PM »
Some of you good people from Calis crack me up,at the first whiff of what you consider criticism of the place,be it justified or not,you circle the wagons to fight the Indians off.
Lets try and put everything into perspective,all three locations which are highlighted in the discussion are, Calis,Hisaronu,Olu Deniz,and all have their own particular appeal for people,all tastes are catered for.
I live in Ovacik,which according to the learned ones has nothing going for it at all,fine by me,I'me not going to get in a verbal battle with 5,000 Calis lovers over Calis v Hisaronu v Olu Deniz etc.
However,all the locations mentioned have one glaring thing in common,they have'nt got one iota of Turkish culture between them and never will have,they are what they are,tourist traps with sunshine.
So Dulux,hopefully you will find somewhere that will satisfy you,and come back next year,make a similar posting,and we'll all undergo the same boring perennial subject again. :)

Offline Sleuth

Calis to Boring?
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2010, 14:56:55 PM »
nice one geordie boy [^]

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Calis to Boring?
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2010, 15:06:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by geordieboy

Some of you good people from Calis crack me up,at the first whiff of what you consider criticism of the place,be it justified or not,you circle the wagons to fight the Indians off.

Funny, that is *entirely* my opinion of people who prefer Ovacik & Hisaronu  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Calis to Boring?
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2010, 15:17:18 PM »
Actually, dulux said it might be boring in Calis in the evenings, numerous people said "yes it is and that's why we like it" - can you indicate where people circled and fought him off? If anything they agreed with him fully. More poppycock from geordieboy!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Calis to Boring?
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2010, 15:58:51 PM »
When we first went to Calis, in 1997, we went with our two teenage daughters (17 and 15). On an evening I would walk with each of them the full length of Calis prom and back again. We walked arm-in-arm and I taught them the art of promenading. How, by adopting a swinging strolling style and with eyes on the intermediate middle distance, everyone would be able to tell that you were a serious promenader. People walking in the opposite direction would magically melt out of your way so you didn't need to divert your course from the middle of the prom; normally aggressive "callers-in" outside restaurants and bars would not hassle you but instead wave you past with a cheery "Hello. Good evening". I coached them that if you sang the lyrics to The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo in your head it was almost impossible not to adopt a good promenading rhythm. All you need is to start the refrain "As I walk a long the Bois Boolong with an independent air ..." in your mind and your shoulders go back, your head lifts, and your walk takes on a swinging gait (you can try this at home; it isn't dangerous). This promenading became a key feature of our evenings.

Yes, yes, very boring I know but many years later my grown-up children still remember it vividly ("Hey Dad, remember that holiday when ...") - and so do I. I guess different things entertain different people at different times in their lives.

Offline geordieboy

Calis to Boring?
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2010, 16:30:48 PM »
If you consider my posting " poppycock" is of course your considered and childish reply.It merely endorses my statement that any criticism of Calis immediately heralds the call to arms to defend it.
I live in Ovacik,it suits me,like I said,I do'nt wish to defend the place,why should I.
If numerous people want to spend boring nights in Calis,great.
If people want to spend their time in Oluz Deniz,great.
If people want to spend their time in Hisaronu,wonderful.
Like I said,all the locations mentioned are tourist traps,they basically provide all the same things,the only difference between the lot of them is location.
So why be overly defensive of Calis,I realise of course you have a vested interest in Calis,so perhaps you take the cudgels up for that reason.I'll end on a smiley in case my remarks cause further aggro. :).

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Calis to Boring?
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2010, 16:36:55 PM »
I am not being defensive here, I am saying I agree it is boring. How is that over defending the place? Is using the word "poppycock" evidence of a childish reply? What a strange world you live in!

I can't defend Calis in this case I'm afraid. It is boring in the evenings!!! Is that still too over defensive!? I have also never asked you to defend Ovacik, no idea where you get that one from!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf