Author Topic: rent or buy  (Read 3086 times)

Offline markcromp

rent or buy
« on: January 08, 2011, 14:21:06 PM »
hello
everyone here seems very keen to buy and there has certainly been a lot of new development in recent years. Without being there I don't know, but it seems likely that a whole lot of lies empty for 9-10 months of the year. True?

I know numbers visiting are rising - strong Euro and all - but most seem to be on packages as they often cost little different than flights, so I can't imagine the holiday rentals market nets spectacular yields.
Which leads to the next thought, if you're coming out to live here, why not rent, then someone else gets all the grief, you can just move, either move complex, town, region, country or continent.

So what's the going rate, on and off season, for a nicely kitted out villa with a shared pool?
ditto for a typical 2bed apartment with balconies £ airco?
What would and wouldn't that include?
cheers

Offline peecee

rent or buy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:54:57 AM »
In theory I would agree with you.  However, I think 99% of the properties you're talking about are owned by expats who would probably want to stay in it for the holidays etc.  So, chances of finding a very long term rental is minimal, 6 months or maybe a year, and you then have the hassle of having to move again (as opposed to moving for a change)
Building 'buy to lets' hasn't happened here because Turkish families tend to either live together and wack on another floor, extension etc.
Maybe it happens more in the big cities.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:56:29 AM by peecee »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
rent or buy
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:22:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by markcromp

if you're coming out to live here, why not rent, then someone else gets all the grief

I think you pretty much answered your own question. Long term rentals in Turkey can be grief ridden for the owners, who are mostly thousands of miles away.

Offline markcromp

rent or buy
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 15:52:21 PM »
So you're saying the only rentals are by the week in peak season and no-one rents for say six months at a time, leaving the management to an agent?
It's common enough in every other location where there's lots of holiday homes. Looks like people are missing a trick.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
rent or buy
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 15:57:45 PM »
quote:

So you're saying the only rentals are by the week in peak season and no-one rents for say six months at a time, leaving the management to an agent?

No, I didn't say that or anything remotely close to that.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
rent or buy
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 18:00:13 PM »
We own a Villa and would not dream of renting it out whilst we or our family are not using it.  We like to leave our clothes in the wardrobes and are personal items around the house, so in effect, it's our home in Turkey and not a place to rent to strangers.  We are not missing a trick. As you say yourself.. we don't want (or need) the grief.  

Offline markcromp

rent or buy
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 19:29:32 PM »
Just trying to be clear, if that's not what you're saying, are you saying there are lots of people renting that way? If so, could you send me a couple of agent names?
Ta

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
rent or buy
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 20:23:39 PM »
I didn't say nobody does it and I didn't say lots of people do it. Please stop telling me what you believe I am saying, it is all getting rather tedious. I also don't have any names for you, sorry.

Offline slartibartfast

rent or buy
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 20:55:13 PM »
quote:

hello
everyone here seems very keen to buy and there has certainly been a lot of new development in recent years. Without being there I don't know, but it seems likely that a whole lot of lies empty for 9-10 months of the year. True?

I know numbers visiting are rising - strong Euro and all - but most seem to be on packages as they often cost little different than flights, so I can't imagine the holiday rentals market nets spectacular yields.
Which leads to the next thought, if you're coming out to live here, why not rent, then someone else gets all the grief, you can just move, either move complex, town, region, country or continent.

So what's the going rate, on and off season, for a nicely kitted out villa with a shared pool?
ditto for a typical 2bed apartment with balconies £ airco?
What would and wouldn't that include?
cheers

Can't fault your assumptions and generalisations :D

Offline Eric

rent or buy
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 21:05:41 PM »
Is there a hidden agenda here?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf