Author Topic: New Alcohol Rules  (Read 7513 times)

Offline starman™

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:53 AM »
They dont want to join the EU and most Turks dont want to either considering the double standards that have been set by the EU and its behavior. I reckon Turkey will get so far in the negotiaitons then flip the birdie to the EU.

Offline Old Daffodil

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 11:13:51 AM »
What double standards do you mean? It is hard to understand all the problems that are going on.What have the EU got wrong?
I thought the problem was something about making it easier to see where the taxes are collected and spent in Turkey and things like not censoring the press so much.In Cyprus couldn't it be resolved with some sort of financial agreement being reached.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:26:01 AM by Daffodil »

Offline starman™

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »
Look at Romania, Bulgaria and Croatia, countries where corruption is rife and where the average wage is lower then Turkey. Turkey has the 16th largest economy in the world, not exactly a poor country. EU gives entry rules to certain countries and totally different rules for Turkey. Turkey is the only case where a separate relationship has been proposed.
Answer me this, if Turkey was a christian country, would the rules be different? would attitudes in France and Germany be different? Would a separate relationship be proposed?
Its amazing how some EU politicians say that Turkey should not come in because its not geographically in Europe (forgetting Cyprus and Malta) yet they court Georgia and Armenia as future possible EU countries. Last time I looked at a map those countries were east of Turkey not west.
Just ask the average Turk on the street (not in the resorts) and see what they say.

Offline Old Daffodil

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »
I understand what you are saying but am not by any means that knowledgeable about all the matters concerning Turkey joining the EU. I do know that religious tolerance is taught to my grandchildren at school in England though and throughout Europe I have seen sizeable mosques. There were mosques just across the border in Greece when we travelled through and England has a lot of them where the Muslim communities live,Paris too had a lovely mosque along with restaurant and hamam. I did not see one church during my whole time in Turkey and accepted that it would not be something the Turkish community would consider being built.
I do not drink much alcohol myself and if there were no drink drivers on the roads I would be glad.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:59:34 PM by Daffodil »

Offline philrose

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 13:36:35 PM »
Actualy according to Wikipedia there are aproximatley 45000 christians and 236 active churches in Turkey ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 14:09:27 PM by philrose »

Offline starman™

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 13:46:51 PM »
There arent many churches active in the Turkish hinterland but there are many active churches here in Istanbul and dotted around all over the place. You can still here church bells ring in many areas of the city along with the ezan. From my garden I can see the Ortakoy mosque along with the Ortakoy Greek orthodox church and the Etz Ahayim Synagogue, all open for business as usual.

My question still stands though, if Turkey was a christian country would attitudes be different?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 14:16:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by starmanTM

if Turkey was a christian country would attitudes be different?

Yes.

But in France and Germany politicians do not label it like that. They say there are "cultural differences" or "different values" - i.e. Turkey doesn't espouse a Christian ethos.

Offline starman™

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 14:20:15 PM »
cultural differences? Typical of Germans and French to spin it that way. I guess there is no "cultural differences" between Greeks and Spanish people.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 14:59:57 PM »
I think Colwyn's take on this is near to the truth. Let's face it - Turkey is a nation of 90 million people, and although secular, 90% of them are Muslim. There is obviously going to be opposition from Christian countries who fear that Turkey will become such a strong voice within the EU.

I must add that these are not my views - just my understanding of why there is and will continue to be opposition to Turkey joining the EU.

Offline starman™

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 15:05:01 PM »
If Turkey entered the EU today they would have the 2nd largest voting block in the EU but they reckon it would have the largest after 2020 as Turkeys population will surpass Germany's.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf