Author Topic: New Alcohol Rules  (Read 7555 times)

Offline Old Daffodil

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 15:43:55 PM »
This is very interesting,I am learning things I never knew.
I don't know whether Germany or France want Turkey in or not but after travelling across Greece on the beautiful Egnatia highway I am puzzled as to why it would be built if there was no serious intention of joining up with Turkey in some capacity. It must have cost serious money and it would be easy to import and export goods to and from Turkey.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 16:02:08 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 16:21:25 PM »
Just how would the Turkish economy be affected if they joined the E.U. Think of the amount of fake bags, shoes, clothes jewellery that is sold in the Fethiye area alone.  It would mean a lot of traders going out of business, as these fake goods are not allowed by the E.U.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 16:55:51 PM »
Daffodil

As a guess, I suppose the road was paid for by an EU grant. It would have provided Greek construction workers a good wage for a year or so and Greek construction companies a tidy (probably inflated) profit. This  might be the only purpose of the road.

[Despite generally thinking that the EU is "a good thing" for the UK - and would be more so for Turkey - I recognize that there is widespread corruption and that the construction industry is a likely location for this. I remember being puzzled by an apparently pointless dual carriage road in Spain. But a friend who lives in the region told me the Spanish government had received an EU grant for the building of cycling lanes at the side of roads (good for the environment and all that). The government decided to build these cycle tracks the same width as normal carriageways ... and then to use them as normal carriageways. No sensible cyclists  would  venture out on these fast superhighways to nowhere].

However, whether Turkey joins the EU or not improving communications links between it and the rest of Europe would make a lot of sense. As Starman says Turkey is an  important economic power in the region; it has a strong manufacturing base (and is NOT overly reliant on tourism). I think many  politicians in the EU would like to enjoy the economic benefits of close relationship with Turkey with the minimum of social and political strings attached.  

Offline ronzeus

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 18:05:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

I think Colwyn's take on this is near to the truth. Let's face it - Turkey is a nation of 90 million people, and although secular, 90% of them are Muslim. There is obviously going to be opposition from Christian countries who fear that Turkey will become such a strong voice within the EU.

I must add that these are not my views - just my understanding of why there is and will continue to be opposition to Turkey joining the EU.

Actual population of Turkey is 77 million and 98% Muslim Stuart,agree with you on why they wont go in.

Offline Old Daffodil

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 18:28:38 PM »
Thanks Colwyn,I understand now why there is such a good road from Turkey!

What do you favour this season Jacqui? Hermes, Prada,Louis Vuitton? It looks as if the handbag shop owners can relax for the moment.:DTerry Wogan called Turkey handbag heaven!

It sounds as if the French idea of favoured trading partners is a good idea. How would the rights of women be viewed in Eastern Turkey? Why would a Turkish village let a church be built? It just wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 18:39:01 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 22:10:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Daffodil

What do you favour this season Jacqui? Hermes, Prada,Louis Vuitton? It looks as if the handbag shop owners can relax for the moment.:DTerry Wogan called Turkey handbag heaven!

None, the ones in the markets are cheap rubbish and the leather ones in the shops work out much more expensive than buying the real thing in sales ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 23:14:07 PM »
Actually Ron official figures are nearer 78 mil and that's only estimated.

Offline starman™

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 06:58:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

Just how would the Turkish economy be affected if they joined the E.U. Think of the amount of fake bags, shoes, clothes jewellery that is sold in the Fethiye area alone.  It would mean a lot of traders going out of business, as these fake goods are not allowed by the E.U.

It would be affected in a big way but Turkey already has a customs union with the EU. Also I doubt the fake handbags thing would have any impact considering all the other countries in the EU have them. As someone stated before, tourism and related things (handbags) have a small part in the Turkish economy. Turkey has a huge manufacturing base. A huge percentage of TVs sold in Europe are in fact made and assembled in Turkey. White goods is another sector which has a major share as siemens, bosch, arcelik and Beko have huge plants here. Then you have the textile market which is the 3rd largest in the world.
Just read this wiki article to have an idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Turkey

Offline starman™

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 07:19:09 AM »
Here is another interesting article on the BBC today.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11878532

Offline jackstee

New Alcohol Rules
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »
Anyway , you can also, don't forget, get all the fakes and other trash in most of the back streets of every UK city.

Steve

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf