Author Topic: EasyJet - pay as you go aircraft bags  (Read 2466 times)

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
EasyJet - pay as you go aircraft bags
« on: January 21, 2011, 14:32:37 PM »
Millions of easyjet passengers face higher baggage charges under a new price-by-mile policy, the airline is poised to scrap its flat rate fee per hold bag and charge each bag by the distance instead, passengers on short trips will gain but those who fly to such places as turkey will pay more, this change could start as early as next month, they have not said what the price per mile would be but what if its a 1 pence per mile or say £1 per mile could prove to be very expensive and open the door to all budget airlines.

The only good news is that they are considering is that women with handbags and business travellers with laptop bags can carry on board more than one bag free

Whats the airmiles from say London Gatwick To Dalaman ?????

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 15:15:52 PM »
Miles/Kilometers from London to Dalaman

1744 miles

2807 Kilometers

Offline sunlover

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 17:31:51 PM »
What if we have already paid for our luggage for a flight booked and paid for????

do you think we wouldhave to pay the extra cost??

sunlover

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 17:37:24 PM »
I think the whole idea is that the budget airlines don't want to see you until you are at the departure gate - they don't want to have to print off boarding cards, you can do that (absolutely unthinkable not so long back), they don't want to check in your luggage, they want you to just turn up and bother them first at boarding time, cutting staffing needs down by a massive proportion. Discouraging checked in baggage should I assume also cut down airport service charges. I don't think they want to make large amounts out of people who bring a suitcase, I think they simply don't want you to bring a suitcase.

Offline sunlover

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 17:53:10 PM »
"I think they don,t want you to bring a suitcase"

Well i for one would not fit in there seats with all my holiday clothes on :o

Don,t want you to think i am large but i like to take a few change of clothes..

sunlover

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 18:20:09 PM »
Maybe so, but I'm saying that they would prefer it if you didn't bring a suitcase. I didn't say you don't need to.

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 18:59:12 PM »
Scunner, you are dead right, the airlines want you to do everything, next thing they will think of is using drone planes ie no pilot get your own drinks from a pay-as-you go coffee machines with on board computer instructions to the customer, some airlines already do this with the onboard emergency video.

With regard to easyjet pricing on baggage only(not flight prices) please see the following:

If you booked a flight last Sunday on the easyjet website with a flight from Gatwick for the 12th September 2011 to Dalaman until the 1st October 2011 the baggage rate was listed at £11.00 per 20kg hold bag, book the same flight today and its £22 per bag, do the same dates and fly to Izmir from Gatwick (new service by easyjet starts in may)and its £18 per bag so looks like easyjet are already applying the new mileage rate now.

It should be noted that anyone who has booked a flight already with this airline then the price should remain the same as paid and it should not go up, if they do ask for more monies the they are in breach of contract, and you can get your money back in full.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 19:30:17 PM »
Funny in my paper today it said they were thinking of scrapping or lowering hold baggage charges as customers were causing delays by carrying too much cabin luggage. profits are down apparently.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 19:44:55 PM »
On the other side of the coin, it suits us more often than it doesn't - we have been away to several cities for very little cost, both taking a cabin wheelie type case which Jet2, Easyjet etc. don't charge anything for - and for a long weekend they are more than enough. The problem is, as I have said before and Stoops says above is that everyone is doing the same and there simply isn't enough overhead locker space, let alone time to try and crowbar it all in. I'd be more than happy to take a suitcase and wait for it at the carousel - it is simply because they charge me for it that I don't - and I'm sure that goes for many of the people on the plane.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 19:47:14 PM »
Is this the "Rumour/Panic Mill" over-flowing again, or does someone actually have any bona-fide evidence of this??
Gordy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf