Author Topic: What do you take back to UK ?  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Julesp

What do you take back to UK ?
« on: January 30, 2011, 23:56:32 PM »
I am going to Uk for 3 days next weekend The first time in 2 years, travelling Turkish airlines, my question is ,the people who come back and forth all the time, is , what do you take UK and what do you bring back to Turkey and vise versa, The reason I ask is because Turk airlines gives you 20 kilo hold and 8 kilo hand baggage, what would you do with that weight? I will take 2 changes of clothes, thats enough, And will bring back from Uk, for a friend. maybe a box of shredded wheat and easter egg for FIG fundraising
Anway was intersted to know what people who live in Uk bring to Turkey cos they cant do without and what Expats take back from Turkey,cos same reason to uk  :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 00:25:59 AM »
We used to take as little as possible to the UK when we were living in Turkey and came to Britain for a visit. The less we brought to the UK, the less we would need to bring back - thus leaving maximum space for cheddar cheese, sausages and crumpets :D

It's not the entire story though - coupled with this we would also bring next to no clothes for the kids and buy them in the UK - George, Matalan, Tesco etc - when you have two kids growing up fast, and children's clothes are strangely ridiculously expensive in Turkey, we used to buy stacks of stuff for them in the UK.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 00:30:16 AM »
By the way, I realise I didn't answer your question! What do folks in the UK bring over to Turkey...we bring Cadbury's Miniature Heroes for Cenk, decent rose wine for Olga and for our British friends, Greggs sausage rolls. Never had a complaint yet  :)

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:28:31 AM »
Tins of sainsburys less than  3% fat ham ( best tinned ham I have tasted) tins of corned beef, cathedral city cheese, maltesers.
Mark

Offline starman™

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:52:59 AM »
I get a 60 kilo allowance with THY due to the frequent flier card I have so usually bring back DVDs, bacon and cheese.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:15:38 AM »
I take clothes for myself to Turkey as there is little choice of good women's clothes in Fethiye most are about 30 years behind the times.  Also take worming and flea treatments for our visiting dogs.  We do occasionally taken over fitted sheets.   Also take make-up as the big brands are expensive over there.    Bring back ibuprofen and sleeping tablets which are ridiculously cheap and also 1000 ml penicillin tablets (we now have a list of people we bring them back for).

Offline scouser2

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:30:39 AM »
We take as little luggage as possible back to the U.K. but antibiotics are a must. Coming back we bring salted butter, bacon, cheese, pork sausage, rice crispies, salt & vinegar crisps, smokey bacon crisps, and birthday/christmas cards.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 12:14:48 PM »
to UK: spices - especially sumac, pomegranate dressing, olive oil, a fresh box of pastries to share out at the office and a camera full of memories....   From UK;  ham, cheddar, bacon, sausages, chocolate and veterinary supplies !  (plus lots of duty free bubbles, gin and port).

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 16:06:22 PM »
A bit dodgy to declare on an open Forum that drugs are being brought through Customs for "a list" of customers!!!! [:(!]
Gordy.

Offline Julesp

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 16:22:42 PM »
Its as I thought. Lots people bring stuff to Turkey from Uk but not much demand for Turkish stuff going to the Uk, my friend has just asked me to take some Turkish mayo and Sucuk to Uk for him.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf