Author Topic: my vist this time to calis *moan.  (Read 21707 times)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
my vist this time to calis *moan.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 00:17:46 AM »
A really interesting topic,and could'nt agree more with most of the comments, A pet hate of mine is to see a plethora of flesh walking around Fethiye or the markets, etc, I remember going to a turkish wedding and had put a new top on, it was a bit low for my own liking and spent the evening pulling it up or resting my hand on the exposed parts, the lovely turkish ladies were in stitches laughing, obviously because the latched on to the fact I was not happy with the situation, on the other hand I absolutely shudder when I see some sights,
and as for the EPKH brigade, they are know alls, done **** all. in their lives, apart from stir up trouble wherever they came from in the first place. now and then over our many years in Calis, we have ended up in their company, and immediately caught on to them,then dodged them on sight the next time, then there are the really nice people who live there who are a pleasure to have in your company, this is the downside of the Calis we came to know and love when there were a handful of expats, what a pity the minority spoil it for the majority ,[^] I think this must be my longest ever post on CBF,  ;)

Offline philrose

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 05:56:50 AM »
Met some Ex-pat Knobheads this time then ;)
The reason why they don't have any Turkish even if they have lived hear for years is that they spend nearrly all their time in a bar (normally the same one) gossiping about other peoples business, they just don't have the time to learn the language.

Fortunatly they are still a fairly rare breed so here's a couple of tips so you can do to avoid this happening again...
1. Don't attend the opening of anything the EPK is ineviably drawn to these functions by the free/or cheap refreshments.
2. Avoid bars that have same familiar faces in day after day.
3. Take time out to visit places of interest in the locality, the EPK hardly ever vetures out of his/her drinking confort zone.
4. If all else fails - pretend you are German:D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:59:20 AM by philrose »

Offline DANKY

• Never red
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:30 AM »
The sad thing is a lot of them will be reading this and thinking yer i know one of them without even realising that they are one them selves .

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »
You can spot them a mile away, sitting drinking efes 10am in the morning, sun newspaper in front of them, lived here years but still calls the waiters here mate or mush. luckily as Mark said they are in a minority ;)

Offline davybill

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 08:41:20 AM »
i live in calis area and theres some lovely people here,there is some people that get a bit paronoid
that people are talking about them,maybe they have reason to,been here 3 years have not heard anybody
slag me off yet,and i do go to calis front quite often,as for learning turkish,all the waiters talk english
and they like to talk english,so advice,dont worry what u  think people are saying behind your back as unless
you have given them reason, and i like tourists[i was one once]  tesekkur ederim.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by davybill

been here 3 years have not heard anybody
slag me off yet

Haha, yes that's how they do it. Nothing to your face but smiles and waves.

Offline davybill

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »
maybe a lot of people envy the lovely life the expats have got out here,
but people keep coming back,to be talked about,and i do like a efes,
but i read the turkish daily news,[can't afford british newspapers]lol

Offline apollo10

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 09:25:15 AM »
I have just read all these postings and how true they are.  We live full time in Turkey, further down the coast from Calis, but the same happens here, we ignore it and don't mix with many expats.  However, we do visit Calis at least once a year, to visit family when they are out there, and a couple of years ago we were sat in the bar of a well known hotel at lunch time and were gob smacked to hear four women pulling to bits what I should think were the whole of Calis expat community.  I just think there must be a lot of sad, bored and lonely people about.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 09:48:27 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by laffa

A really interesting topic,and could'nt agree more with most of the [^] I think this must be my longest ever post on CBF,  ;)

OMG Maureen just thinking the same- LOL:D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
Many truths in this topic but nothing remotely as accurate as this:

quote:
Originally posted by DANKY

The sad thing is a lot of them will be reading this and thinking yer i know one of them without even realising that they are one them selves .

But as said, it is a (very) hi-vis minority - there are so many more British expats living the good life, respecting and supporting the local area - look at the Calis carnival committee, the ladies of FIG, the tireless working of the Animal Aid guys (except Andy, a "local p***head who thinks he's God" :D ) - and numerous gentle couples you never saw in the usual EPK haunts - maybe occasionally in the old Palms or Ocakbasi for example, or out for the big match and not seen till the next big match.

If I died today, and I hope I don't because I don't want to miss the Royal wedding : :), I'll go happy knowing that if nothing else, I gave you the term EPK :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf