Author Topic: keeping a bolt hole  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
keeping a bolt hole
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 14:49:36 PM »
Lots of very good advice, thanks, keep it coming.

I think it depends on your personal mentality which you prefer - 10% now with a possibility it will drop against a certain 2% in the UK. Another way of earning some extra is to play the exchange rate, this takes time & effort but can add a "bonus" income if needed.

Another factor is the total you have to invest, like many on here I've worked for a long while & a not necessarily a gambler but to refuse 10% now might seem short sighted, damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

keeping a bolt hole
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 15:15:14 PM »
Supacabby please think very carefully about playing with exchange rates. Having spent many years in the Treasury division of a large financial institution all I can say it takes expertise to speculate. It could also lead to losses. Markets are still full of uncertainty and not the best time to speculate.

Offline mike77777777

keeping a bolt hole
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 15:15:38 PM »
not selling anything at home until the year is up. We can then decide what we want to do. We can see if the interest rate goes below the present level over that year. I'm not a gambler but looking at their economic situation I suspect it is more likely to rise than fall.

Not so sure about the exchange rate. I think that will depend more upon US and GB recovery.

keep the comments coming..

Thanks Mike

Offline col

keeping a bolt hole
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 15:25:49 PM »
It was only a month or so back Erdogan was (according to some Turkish papers) wanting bank interest rates for savers to drop in time to 0%. As he believes people should work and not rely on interest from savings. In reality I would be suprised if this  happened, but as he is back in power for another 4 years, who knows what will happen!

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

keeping a bolt hole
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 15:40:42 PM »
I would not worry about the recovery of the UK and America, I would worry about what could happen to the Euro. There is an election due in Spain and it is shortly after when the true state of the Spanish economy will come out. A bail out of Spain will makePortugal, Ireland and Greece look like small change. There is a possibility that the Euro may not survive.

Offline hillside

keeping a bolt hole
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 16:22:03 PM »
Me thinks Supacabby has already made up his mind and not so much looking for advise but endorsement of what he's already decided eh?

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
keeping a bolt hole
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 20:29:14 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by hillside

Me thinks Supacabby has already made up his mind and not so much looking for advise but endorsement of what he's already decided eh?

Not quite, I still have the option to rent my flat or sell it, just trying to do what's best in the financial long run & also make sure I can live comfortably without an income, last thing I want to do is to struggle & be forced to return to the UK leaving a sour taste of my experience, whichever way I go I'll be in Calis in September for the winter!

Offline mike77777777

keeping a bolt hole
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 21:01:19 PM »
we're holidaying in september and maybe trying our 1 year trial from feb 2012.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf