Author Topic: Beware at cash machines!!  (Read 8535 times)

Offline eflores

Beware at cash machines!!
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 20:48:55 PM »
They have, in recent times, been a target of those unlawful criminals who are really up to no good.  But in any case and should you experience it on your own, I suggest that you do not hesitate to give in to what they want than end up getting hurt.  Probably branded as a coward, I would choose to be such then stay at the losing end, dying. Or better yet, make it a point to survey the scene first.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 21:32:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by eflores

They have, in recent times, been a target of those unlawful criminals who are really up to no good.  

Are there lawful criminals who are up to good then ? :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 21:36:00 PM »
Or unlawful criminals who are really up to good.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 21:53:05 PM »
Or lawful criminals that are up to no good ?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 21:59:03 PM »
Isn't that what you said the first time :D

Offline LynnBert

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 23:11:07 PM »
I find all this very sad, never thought I would have to look over my shoulder in Turkey.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 23:26:13 PM »
Yes I have to say I would agree - there was a time not so long back in Turkey where the person "over your shoulder" was only ever there to see if he could help. Sadly card scams are rife the World over - not many places more than central London. It's a sad reflection of the modern age. However, bringing back this topic is a timely reminder to those going out for 2012 season - please don't worry but don't over relax when it comes to ATMs, money exchange etc...

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 09:18:07 AM »
There was a program on the BBC last week which highlighted bank card scamming. The majority of culprits were from Romania.  They installed various devices at cash machines and were able to 'clone' cards.  Apparently the banks collectively lose 5 million pounds a week to the scammers.  They are VERY clever people and it is only a matter of time until they start their games abroad.

Offline maximumtom

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 18:25:04 PM »
What the scams rely on is that you leave the machine when it does not give your card back. When you leave,the criminals then come and remove your card . It is time that all machines had a telephone for you to call immediate help or , at least, supply a number that you can phone for help.  The HSBC machine in Fethiye appears to have a phone for this purpose but I haven't used it so cannot say for certain. It is possibly best to go to ATMs in pairs so that ,if the machine doesn't give your card back, you can remain with the machine while the other person goes for help (obviously not to the person standing nearby ).

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 19:52:25 PM »
Since having a bit of a scare at the Finans Bank ATM just down from Migros last year, I thought the machine had "eaten" my card, but it was just on a go slow. Now I only draw cash from an ATM actually outside a bank, during open hours and with my husband or friend standing behind me. Even then I follow a tip I saw on a forum, that was to put your card in and then press cancel to get it back again, then re-insert it and carry out your transaction.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf