Author Topic: What do you regret getting rid of?  (Read 10458 times)

Offline Susiepink

Re: What do you regret getting rid of?
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2013, 06:46:50 AM »
I did exactly the same thing a few years ago when flying back from Miami. It was only a small ladies Swiss Army knife , which I loved it was so useful. The American security guy spotted it and asked me what it was, I answered "it's a penknife", he looked at me in absolute disbelief, his face was a picture. "A penknife, maam, you're carrying a penknife???"
Mind you, it was also soon after 9/11 and the whole world was being super security conscious.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2013, 07:38:45 AM »
When the whole no liquids thing just started we went to Glasgow Airport and my bag was search and they actually took my compact with solid powder in it and told me it was not allowed.  They put it in a large glass case with all the other confiscated items.  As we looked at the case the thing that immediately took our eyes was the largest tube of Anusol we had ever seen, pressed against the glass.  My husband remarked to me that someone would have trouble "sitting" through the flight. 

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2013, 08:41:16 AM »
They sell them in most of the supermarkets,  I got mine in Asda, but the have them in Tesco and Morrisons.

Thanks Jacqui, only found the complete pan when I was back last, but I didn't go to Asda, I'll have to get one of my minions to look there for me.  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2013, 09:03:48 AM »
Hi, These are the ones we have, both here in the U.K. and in Turkey.  I think they are around £1.50 in the supermarkets   http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fusion-Poachpod-Poacher-Two-Pack-Silicone/dp/B000P6FD3I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1376899240&sr=8-5&keywords=single+egg+poacher
Can recommend them, as they are really handy to use and don't make the pan messy.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2013, 09:20:41 AM »
Going back to the knife issue, my mate bought some Turkish delight in Hisaronu, the shop wrapped it with the ribbon stuff you scrape with the edge of a knife to make into bows, put the 2 packs into a bag and we left.
When he got home (to UK) he unpacked his T. Delight from his hand luggage and opened the bag, inside was the 5" sharp knife used for making the bows.  :o  That bag went through 2 x ray machines at Dalaman.

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
Don't get rid of your sense of humour, it's essential to keep you sane when ridiculous things happen when living abroad.
Keep an open mind and adapt and integrate where possible.    ;)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2013, 15:47:12 PM »
Don't get rid of your sense of humour, it's essential to keep you sane when ridiculous things happen when living abroad.
Keep an open mind and adapt and integrate where possible.     ;)

THE best advice yet, I reckon.

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2013, 18:08:40 PM »
When they brought out the liquids restriction my daughter was gutted when they confiscated and 'binned' a 200ml jar of Clarins face cream worth about £40
I think they must have a car boot every week with all the 'binned' items, including pen knifes, tweezers, face creams and anything else they deem to be to dangerous to go on board!

Offline Menthol

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2013, 00:17:09 AM »
Dalaman thought my little hand held luggage scales were too dangerous to take on the plane.

The control guy pulled out the inbuilt tape measure from it (I didn't even know it had one until then!) and he snapped it off. He then handed the scales back to me with a look that said 'Unbelievable'.

He clearly thought I was going to strangle one of the cabin crew with it once on board.

Actually it would have come in very handy for the woman behind me who kept kicking my seat.

By the way, Fastlady (where are you now?) this was an excellent thread idea.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2013, 09:20:03 AM »
They take a tape measure from you but what about dental floss? Perfect for a quick garotte!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf