Author Topic: who knows the origins of "chock a block"  (Read 6765 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
who knows the origins of "chock a block"
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »
Nichola, a number of sources find the phrase used in English from the mid-19th century onwards. What evidence do you have for your version of the origin? I looked up "blok" and it seems to be a Turkified form of "block" and used with the same meanings it has in English. Does it have some other meaning?

Is this one of Ataturk's claims to support the view that the reason why Turkish has so many words that appear in other languages (Indian, Persian, Arabic, French, German, English) is that Turkey is the 'mother tongue' of all languages.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:33:04 AM by Colwyn »

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 14:11:26 PM »
Found this:  Chock a block from Turkish çok kalabalik.  From this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Turkic_origin  :D

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 14:15:19 PM »
It is something I read somewhere and just remembered because I thought it was interesting. I think that it might have been in the book A Fez of the Heart - Jeremy Seal

When I googled chock a block I couldn't find a definitive answer and it does seem to be used to describe a number of situations.

I also found the info that Eric posted and there was the reference to the 1st & 2nd WW and this seemed to fit.

Whether it has anything to do with Ataturk claim I don't know but Turkish does indeed have many words from other languages.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 13:22:21 PM »
Chock-a-block
Meaning
Crammed so tightly together as to prevent movement.

Origin
This term is old and has a nautical origin.

Chock:

The derivation of chock isn't entirely clear but the word is thought to have come from chock-full (or choke-full), meaning 'full to choking'. This dates back to the 15th century and is cited in Morte Arthur, circa 1400:

"Charottez chokkefulle charegyde with golde."

This meaning was later used to give a name to the wedges of wood which are used to secure moving objects - chocks. These chocks were used on ships and are referred to in William Falconer's, An universal dictionary of the marine, 1769:

"Chock, a sort of wedge used to confine a cask or other weighty body..when the ship is in motion."

Block:

This is where seafaring enters into the story. A block and tackle is a pulley system used on sailing ships to hoist the sails. It might be expected that 'chock-a-block' is the result of wedging a block fixed with a chock. That doesn't appear to be the case. The phrase describes what occurs the system is raised to its fullest extent - when there is no more rope free and the blocks jam tightly together. Frederick Chamier's novel The Life of a Sailor, 1832 includes this figurative use of the term:

"Here my lads is another messmate..." - What, another!" roared a ruddy-faced midshipman of about eighteen. "He must stow himself away, for we are chock-a-block here."

We might expect to find a reference to it in relation to ship's equipment before any figurative use, but the earliest I've found is in Richard H. Dana Jr's Two years before the mast, 1840:

"Hauling the reef-tackles chock-a-block."

Chock-a-block also spawned an abbreviated version in the 20th century - chocka (or chocker). This is WWII UK military slang meaning 'fed-up or disgruntled' - as defined in Hunt and Pringles' Service Slang, 1943:

"Chocker, this is the sailor's way of saying he is fed up or browned off."

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 15:44:33 PM »
Does this mean Brenda was right all the time H  :o

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 15:56:53 PM »
Chocks is a gypsy word for shoes and the block is the metal anvil on which the cobbler repairs his shoes, so when people come to him in a rush for repairs, he would use the phrase 'chock a block' meaning you will have to wait...

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 16:19:14 PM »
I find the Turkish connection the least plausible of the explanations offered (the dates are wrong) and the nautical one - boringly, the usual one - to be the most plausible.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 17:43:21 PM »
It's Mandarin for badger-baiting - a most cluel sport.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf