Author Topic: The Duck Pond.. Please read this  (Read 16030 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
The Duck Pond.. Please read this
« on: July 13, 2011, 20:12:58 PM »
I have never been happy with the way the birds are kept in the Duck Pond.  I now hear they have a duckling.  This duckling must have been brought in and put in the pond, to amuse the tourists as the ducks in the pond have no where to nest and sit on eggs (which takes 25 days).  They only have a small wooden board to stand on.  If you look in the water under the board you will see all the eggs that have been laid and dropped into the water.  The ducks have their wings clipped so they can't fly away.  This small duckling will be lost without it's Mother and will probably be attacked by the other adult ducks and may be killed.  There are a lot of fish in the water, which will probably all die due to the duck poo, pigeon poo and rotten eggs in the water.  
I have heard that in the winter the conditions for these animals is very sad.  I dread to think about it.
We kept ducks for many years and they like to swim around in the day and peck around the grasses and reeds near the pond, they also like some nice dry bedding to sleep on in the evenings and when the females are broody and laying eggs they like a nest where they can sit quietly for around a month.  
It's a shame these animals, including the fish are suffering so tourists can be amused.[:(!]:-\
Think about this the next time you pass the Duck Pond.:-\

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 22:11:19 PM »
how sad jacqui, is there more that could be done, like make their enviroment better etc

Offline Julesp

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 22:25:08 PM »
And also think about this if you are tempted to eat there.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 22:52:49 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by puma

how sad jacqui, is there more that could be done, like make their enviroment better etc

There is nothing much that could be done for them, they are in an alien environment where they are stuck sitting on a small wooden board with no where else to move to.:(  They also have no natural food to eat.  We used to buy meal for our ducks, in particular the babies need proper food and not bread and scraps from tourists. There is a good chance the duckling if not injuried by the other ducks will be attacked by some of the bigger fish.[:(!]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 22:53:36 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 22:56:07 PM »
Ducks aside for a moment, I first discovered the Duck Pond nearly 10 years ago now. Food wise it was very unimpressive then and having met people there more recently, you have to admire it's consistency.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 23:22:38 PM »
Ate there once, wasn't impressed.  And I wonder how many germs are lodged in the wall of the kitchen from the ducks and pigeons living there.  I think the water is constantly being replaced with spring water (someone correct me if I am wrong), which would explain why the water is so clear, so at least THAT is a plus point for the duck's health.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 23:28:49 PM »
Scunner people go there because of the ducks. There will always be tourists who think it's cute to have ducks. Rindaloo, water may look clean but unless all the poo is removed it's not.  Also there will be nothing in the water for the birds to eat.  I have never seen them being fed. I dread to think what is happening to them in the winter, but it does not sound good.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 23:31:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

I dread to think what is happening to them in the winter, but it does not sound good.

Jacqui - do you meant to suggest that it is a different set of ducks each year[?]

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 23:42:08 PM »
From what I heard from someone in the know, it looks like it could be, I cannot see them surviving each year.
Domestic ducks need some shelter in the Winter and extra food, cannot see them getting it, can you?

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 23:43:22 PM »
Ducks poo in ponds.  The difference is, this is a flushing pond, LOL!  I take your point re. food.  I don't know what food they get nor what happens to them in winter, but I am sure they're there all year round.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf