Author Topic: cat flu at the shelter  (Read 3572 times)

Offline june

cat flu at the shelter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 21:33:26 PM »
Oh dear how awful and terribly sad.....I so hope you manage to get it under control very soon......I agree mercury...so glad Jules had the lovely kittie x

Offline Just Marian

cat flu at the shelter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 21:34:49 PM »
Oh that's awful news. Sadly it happens as it's very hard to contain these viruses in places where there are so many animals in close proximity.    

I found two 4 week old kittens lying on the main road in Uzumlu last Saturday night (5th Nov)
Although no sign of injury, they were very poorly and suffering from hypothermia and de-hydration.  
I am also so glad I didn't take them to the shelter.

At the moment they are doing well, but I am looking for good homes for them. ( I already have five!)

Offline janmack

cat flu at the shelter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 22:22:55 PM »
Very, very sad, especially when you guys put so much into the wellbeing of animals.  So sorry.

Offline grizabella

cat flu at the shelter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 07:45:28 AM »
Saw a little ginger kitten and a black one in front of the Enya yesterday but havent seen the two poorly tabbies.Maybe they've succmbed to this dreaded disease.Such an awful waste.Heartbreaking for you all after revamping the cattery too.

Offline hubblebubble

cat flu at the shelter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 12:52:43 PM »
having nursed a group of kittens through this they can survive it.
Kerem the vet was a great help.
Also keeping their eyes wiped with saline helps prevent them losing their eyesight.
Unfortunately the disease is common here so get your pets immunised if they arent already. A cat which survives will always be a carrier.
So sad to hear this Andy, heartbreaking. Sometimes I wish we could just sponsor a local free vet, even if only a couple of days a week for basic stuff like innoculations and neutering as not everyone can get to the shelter.

Offline anna-marie01

cat flu at the shelter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 13:00:10 PM »
I think that is a great idea hubblebubbles  :) If it could be instrumented it would be very helpful.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 13:03:52 PM by anna-marie01 »

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
cat flu at the shelter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 13:53:35 PM »
We already have an agreement with several vets locally on the treatment of streetcats

Offline hubblebubble

cat flu at the shelter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 15:33:19 PM »
i understand this Andy and greatly applaud the huge changes you and fellow Animal Aiders have made to the welfare of the local street population. I myself have seen the local vets do their share to help.
 It is also an issue that pet owners need to care for their animals as responsibly as possible, sadly sometimes this can be down to cost/transport issues sometimes ignorance here both education and assistance might benefit and also allow more pets to be homed. I appreciate the current remit of the charity fills nore than a working day!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
cat flu at the shelter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 19:30:39 PM »
We already help out with finance and transport to the people who can genuinely not afford this and we also have educational visits to the shelter from the schools[^]:D ;)

Offline bunny4jeff

cat flu at the shelter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear this, the tiny new kittens will have very little immunity especially if their mothers are feral also. Heart-breaking news. I hope the shelter can get over this set-back. If at all possible, it is important to get the yearly inflenza injection for our cats. I know the local vets do what they can, what about a rota of local vets to visit the shelter when required and innoculate any new kittens that arrive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf