Author Topic: Kindle books - 8 Martina Cole inc her new one!  (Read 3170 times)

Offline SteveJ

Kindle books - 8 Martina Cole inc her new one!
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 22:06:01 PM »
Just incase anyone needs it here's a quick 4 step guide to transferring ebooks from an email on to an ereader using Calibre.

1. Double click on the attachment in the email and it will ask you if you want to open it or save it. Choose save and then select the Calibre Library folder in your "Documents and Settings folder. This the default location created when you installed Calibre, if you changed the name then use that folder instead.

2. Connect your ereader to the PC and make sure the PC has picked it up by checking in 'My Computer'. You should see the device as new drive.

3. Load up Calibre, it will re-read your library and recatalogue any new books that it finds in there.  If it doesn't then use the "Get books" button to force it to go and look for your new books.

4. Select a book from the list in Calibre and use the "send to device button" to transfer them to the ereader. Note that the "send to device" button will only appear when the PC has recognised the ereader as a new drive.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 22:12:46 PM »
with apologies - where I put "Get Books" I meant "Add Books"

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 22:55:08 PM »
Got the books Lynne thanks very much  8) I'll now have to see if I've got Calibre or download it. I've got Adobe Digital Editions which might be similar. Any advice would be welcome.
Once I build up a library I will be happy to return the favour  8)

Offline Julesp

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 23:11:42 PM »
Thinking of buying a kindle here in Turkey Does anyone know if they have any compatability problems with downloads from Uk, I have Kindle for pc on my comp here ok so assume I just drag them across to the kindle

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by SteveJ

Just incase anyone needs it here's a quick 4 step guide to transferring ebooks from an email on to an ereader using Calibre.

1. Double click on the attachment in the email and it will ask you if you want to open it or save it. Choose save and then select the Calibre Library folder in your "Documents and Settings folder. This the default location created when you installed Calibre, if you changed the name then use that folder instead.

2. Connect your ereader to the PC and make sure the PC has picked it up by checking in 'My Computer'. You should see the device as new drive.

3. Load up Calibre, it will re-read your library and recatalogue any new books that it finds in there.  If it doesn't then use the "Get books" button to force it to go and look for your new books.

4. Select a book from the list in Calibre and use the "send to device button" to transfer them to the ereader. Note that the "send to device" button will only appear when the PC has recognised the ereader as a new drive.

Steve do I need convert books first - and what is edit meta data [?]

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 12:28:01 PM »
Hi Nicola,

There isn't a yes /no answer to your question as it all depends on which format your file is in and which format your particular ereader will read. If they are the same then no problem, if they are different then you will need to convert the file into the correct format for your reader. Calibre is a good tool for converting files from one format to another. Kindles use the .mobi format.

When you get a book there should three files, a picture of the front cover usually in .pdf format, the book itself in whatever format, and a metadata file which contains book details such as ISBN, publisher, publishing date and a textual description of the book. When you select a book in Calibre it will display the cover at the top and the metadata underneath. Editting metadata can be tricky and isn't something that the casual book reader should attempt (or need to do)

Hope this helps.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 13:28:11 PM »
OK thanks Steve - as Fethiyeflo just sent hers straight to her Kindle I will do the same and just see what happens  ;)

Now I have done what you said and looked at one of the books it says Mobi so should be ok...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 13:30:27 PM by nichola »

Offline fethiyeflo

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 13:31:33 PM »
no i added it to calibre then clicked on the book in calibre and converted it to mobi and then sent it to my kindle xx

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 13:49:30 PM »
Oh, when I click on the books they say Mobi at the top so they should be ok to send as is, yes [?]

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 14:24:13 PM »
Done - thanks all  :)

Just need the Jack Reacher novels and then I think I am all set for the next couple of months...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf