Author Topic: Turkish airlines weights?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline littlereddevil

Turkish airlines weights?
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »
Are Turkish airlines strict with their weight allowance?
We are flying to Istanbul with BA who allow 23kg but Turkish airlines down to Dalaman who allow less.
Does anyone know how strict they are?

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »
Where do you get your entry visa? at Istanbul or when you land in Dalaman?

Offline braveheart

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 13:41:17 PM »
we flew in same way last month
23k on ba and 15k on thy as mentioned
We had 16k each and they allowed - did not wish to take chance of paying excess of 8kg each - be interested to see how you get on tho
Thro immigration in ataturk and domestic arrival dalaman

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 13:49:44 PM »
As ever, it depends who you get at check in for THY. Some friends were charged for excess a couple of weeks ago, but someone who came back last weekend wasn't

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 14:39:15 PM »
Thanks all. Visa in Istanbul Rimms.
Better empty my cases then , I had them packed for BA. Will put the excess in a trolley dolly lol

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 16:47:14 PM »
I just checked my tickets with Turkish Airlines and it clearly states 23kg on both legs of our flight from Manchester, I guess that your flight from Dalaman is classed as an internal flight because you join Turkish airlines at Istanbul?

Thanks for the advice regarding the Visa but I suppose that means I will have to collect my bags in Istanbul and then check them in again for the internal Dalaman flight.

Offline Carolyn1957

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 17:19:56 PM »
We flew to Brisbane from Istanbul last September with Emirates. We had a 30 kg allowance. We took a domestic flight up from Dalaman and had 20 kg allowance on the way out but on the way back it had reduced to 15kg. By luck and by totally confusing the poor check in girl at the domestic terminal we got away with our rather heavy suitcases. We were going to plead ignorance and say as we'd had 20 up we thought we'd get 20 back but as it happened it wasn't necessary.

Turkish airlines also have a generous 8 kg unchecked baggage allowance which was more than Emirates so we juggled a bit between international arrivals and domestic departures. We also managed to fill our pockets rather well!

We flew two weeks ago to Heathrow, firstly on a domestic from Dalaman to Istanbul and then on to Heathrow, doing the return last Sunday. You have to get your passport stamped in Istanbul - the point of entry into Turkey. However, our bags were checked through to Dalaman from Heathrow, as were we, so we needed to go through Customs in Dalaman. That involved us getting off the plane at domestic arrivals and being bussed round to the international arrivals to claim our baggage. Worth bearing in mind if you have someone meeting you!

Offline Heather Davis

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 17:21:39 PM »
Yes you do have to get your entry visa when you arrive in Istanbul but I always check my bags straight through to Dalaman. After arriving in Istanbul you get your visa and then walk through to the domestic terminal.

You are classed as an International passenger when you arrive at the domestic terminal at Dalaman and there will be someone waiting to check you off their list; you are then bussed round to the International terminal to collect your luggage, so any transport you have arranged should collect you from there and not the domestic terminal.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 17:42:37 PM »
So when you arrive at Dalaman, where do you find the person who is waiting with the list to put you on the bus to the International terminal? It sounds a bit confusing, why don't they make you clear customs in Istanbul and then treat yo as an internal passenger on the flight down to Dalaman? ( I probably already know the answer...... Because it's Turkey ! )

Offline Gary-O

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 18:19:10 PM »
George, you don't need to find anybody, they will pick you out and point you in the direction of the mini bus that will take you over to International arrivals. It's a piece of cake and so much easier than claiming your luggage and then checking it back in

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf