Author Topic: What's Going on at Thomas Cook  (Read 3977 times)

Offline DANKY

• Never red
What's Going on at Thomas Cook
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 14:39:35 PM »
I work in London and have to use the underground daily there is no room now for people on trains, so how on earth it will cope during the olympics God only knows, As you say Scunner you would think that there would be a mass exodus to get away from London during this time but with School being given free tickets and lots of people who are working in the city being refused leave through out this event, then it will mean taking children out of School in Sept /Oct it seems people are not thinking the same as me,when i talk to friends and family they are more along the lines of once in a life time event in London !!!
whats the general feel of other forum members who, friends family & work colleagues  live in Essex London / South East on the olympics

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 14:45:47 PM »
I agree Karen - if you look at our personal situation, we have given Turkey ten years of our attention (we holidayed there before moving there, lived there for 5 years, then holidayed there in the years after returning to the UK to live. Our girls really must have thought that the UK and Calis was the whole World! So for us, we have a lot of catching up to do - a huge list of destinations to consider - and where we end up is down to price - I search, find out where is cheap, book flights then read up on where might be nice to stay. Anyone using that system will not be in Turkey this year. It is true that accommodation is cheaper in Turkey, sometimes quite a lot cheaper but not anywhere close to the difference between 4 flights to somewhere cheap and 4 flights to Dalaman.

Offline col

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 15:12:46 PM »
Spot on with Portugal Keith. I believe I posted on this last summer when some of my family were going to visit me here, their first time to Turkey. But they got a weeks all inclusive, transfers included to the Algarve and less than just return flights to Dalaman. They are doing the same this year, back to the Algarve because the fights to Dalaman are simply far too expensive. As they also pointed out to me last year, even when they did go out of the hotel to drink and eat, they didn't find it expensive. When they told me the costs, very little difference to here.

Offline marina

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 15:44:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by DANKY

I work in London and have to use the underground daily there is no room now for people on trains, so how on earth it will cope during the olympics God only knows, As you say Scunner you would think that there would be a mass exodus to get away from London during this time but with School being given free tickets and lots of people who are working in the city being refused leave through out this event, then it will mean taking children out of School in Sept /Oct it seems people are not thinking the same as me,when i talk to friends and family they are more along the lines of once in a life time event in London !!!
whats the general feel of other forum members who, friends family & work colleagues  live in Essex London / South East on the olympics

I don't live in London and have no desire to join the crowds who will be there crowding on the tubes and trains (I do that when I visit London several times a year and find that enough!)   However my daughter and her fiance live and work in London.  They are getting married on 21st July in North Yorkshire but have delayed a honeymoon until after Olympics to get to as many events as they can because "it's the Olympics!!" The opening ceremony in London is actually 27th July but events start a few days before that in Cardiff.

They are thinking that, as they live in London anyway, they won't have to pay for accommodation and are used to the travelling at peak times so won't be such a big deal.  I think for them it's just making the most of the experience while it's on their doorstep.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 17:36:46 PM »
Does the distance to Turkey not have something to do with the more expensive fares? It is quite a bit longer flying time than some european destinations.
Have to say I am holding off booking for September/October because of the prices although have to say May/June were cheap enough.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 17:58:51 PM »
The main area of comparison might be the Canary Islands which are also around 4 hours from the UK. It does seem a lot easier to get a cheap flight there unless I am mistaken.

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 18:15:47 PM »
Just looked on Skyscanner it would cost £70 more to fly to Tenerife for three people in August than to fly to Dalaman

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 19:33:40 PM »
Well I beg to differ, because we've got daytime reurn fares to Dalaman, half board, return transfers for just under £500 in total for 2 people in May. Cannae beat that me thinks.
:D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 19:44:14 PM »
That is posh, half board flights :D

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 19:44:30 PM »

I agree Toky, we got a good deal this time for June.T Cook flights day/night and Sunshine for accommodation. I think it's the luck of the draw finding a decent flight price on the day your looking, they seem to fluctuate so much. Even if we got a decent holiday price outside of Turkey, don't think we could afford the Euro. Last time we went to Corfu and it was extortianate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf