Author Topic: Are your wills ready?  (Read 16745 times)

Offline ytokgoz

• www.propertyandturkey.com
Are your wills ready?
« on: January 08, 2013, 13:43:39 PM »
Just in case you still haven't had any will this is the latest post i have put on my website, and you can read it below; is your will ready?let me know your thoughts
"

With a view to eventually joining the European Union, the Turkish legal system has now been integrated with the continental European system incorporating elements from the Swiss, German, French and Italian codes, however expats living in Turkey do need to be aware of the differences in inheritance law, as do those who purchase immovable property in the country.

The main principle regarding property is that the property is regulated by the laws of the country in which it is located. This means that if you own property in Turkey, Turkish law is the applicable law when it comes to you shuffling off this mortal coil. And you might be a little surprised to learn that the laws of succession in Turkey differ significantly from our own in the UK.

If you die without having made a will and you are married, then your Turkish property will be split up along the following lines:- if the property was in joint names your spouse will retain 50% of the property. The first statutory heirs are any children of the deceased and they would receive the other half of the property. If there are no children, then the parents of the deceased and their offspring i.e. brothers and sisters of the deceased, would receive the estate. If the parents are dead then the grandparents and their offspring are the statutory heirs.

So, if you and your spouse buy a property and put it in joint names, the best that can happen is that your spouse gets 50% of the house when you die. The other 50% could be divided multiple ways and force the sale of the property in which your poor bereaved partner was hoping to remain living. Not ideal really.

If the spouse is included with the children in sharing an inheritance then they have a statutory share of 25%, if they are sharing with the parents that moves up to 50% and if they are sharing with the grandparents 75% of the estate will be theirs. If the deceased has no surviving next of kin then the spouse receives everything and if there are no surviving heirs then the government gets to keep your property in Turkey.

So basically you need to draw up a will in the form specified by the Turkish Civil Code if you want to bequeath a property in Turkey, as a foreign will which does not comply with Turkish law may be invalid. In order to make a will in Turkey you need to be of sound mind and over 15 years of age, and wills disposing of property in Turkey can be made on an official form, handwritten or orally before a public notary or a Justice of the Peace. A holograph is then written in the testators’ handwriting and given to a court or public notary for safe keeping.

Be aware as well that if you have decided to give your Turkish property to your secretary or gardener and not your spouse before you die and the dispositions exceed the reserved portions in the Turkish Civil code, then it is likely that your dispositions will be reduced.

Children can inherit property in Turkey while both parents are alive, provided the parents are married and the parents or an appointed third party can then manage the property. As you can tell, the rules and laws are complex and favour the protection of the extended family. To that end we would say two things, firstly you have to have a will if you’re thinking about moving to Turkey or buying a Turkish property, and secondly as an expat or someone who holds assets in more than one country you need to make sure that your will covers all jurisdictions"

to acces to more post please visit http://propertyandturkey.com

Offline quackers

Re: Are your wills ready?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 14:50:16 PM »
Can you explaın what happens ıf the owners of the property are not marrıed. As I belıeve beıng unmarrıed causes all sorts of problems wıth ınherıtance laws.

Offline ytokgoz

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 15:10:48 PM »
hi quackers ,
i am not a professional about turkish law, but you can ask this to the solicitor on our page for free and i would really appreciate if you can share the answer here.

http://www.propertyandturkey.com/ask-turkish-solicitor.php

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 15:17:41 PM »
Ytokgoz,Please don't go down this route of printing absolute rubbish that is only there to line the pockets of Turkish Lawyers, and lead potential buyer into a false sense of security. This article is absolute 'codswallop' and it is about time that the legal professions tell the truth instead of extorting hundreds of pounds from 'blinkered' clients.  There are many many more guaranteed and cheaper ways of ensuring your property goes to those intended.  What this article does not inform the people it is aimed at is the cost of executing the will, it should be written to expect little or no change from £5,000 nor the fact that it can take years and years of heartache.  As for Turkey joining the European Union, hell will freeze over first.

Offline ytokgoz

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 15:29:01 PM »
wo ho ho loz, calm down. first of all i dont know what you are intendingor  trying to achieve by dropping the level of conversation but i will not drop my quality by replying your insult "rubbish" .in turkey bad words belongs to the owner .
secondly i havent realized you have studied or have vast knowledge about Turkish law, so i would really appreciate if you can share your turkish law knowledge with us .
Or could you please teach us the "There are many many more guaranteed and cheaper ways of ensuring your property goes to those intended" ? I really would like to learn the ways please and i am sure others would like to learn it.

I guess you have no idea about what you are talking because £5000 for a will is stupid price not only for turkey also for uk.
an average basic will at notary would cost you approx 280£ plus you need two turkish citizens to witness, (the figure is about 2 years old so anybody had recent will can update it), also i paid about 400 pounds for my uk will to a uk solicitor.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 15:54:53 PM »
I'm really looking forward to reading this thread this evening.

Offline ytokgoz

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 16:02:02 PM »
loz , you are directing people in the wrong direction in below;
instead of will some one asked about power of attorney?
 and your answer is ;
"This is the very same thing that I have been telling people to do for years, I asked the Turkish lawyer this question and yes it is not legal,she did say clever though.  It would work as long as it was quck and you did not wish to holiday in Turkey again.  After the Turkish Will waste of money this is is the only angle to come up with,   "

The power of attorney is valid till you die, so when you die your power of attorney is not valid plus you are recommending people to break the law by using power of attorney of someone dead!!!!!
Not so clever loz, I would not recommend it to any one , at least not in public.
I didnt bother reading the rest of your comments as on the first post i read you star giving wrong information.

To all who has been reading this post;
whether you have will or not, you should seek legal advice individually  from couple of different sources as I am not professional about turkish law, and i dont claim that i know everything about turkish law like loz and recommend people to break the law.
so as you are all adults; seek professional advice individually and make your own decision

Offline Eric

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 16:10:17 PM »

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 16:14:59 PM »
I'm with H here, and now looking forward to round 2 .......... seconds out  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf