Author Topic: Mosquitoes  (Read 13587 times)

Offline Bluwise

Re: Mosquitoes
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »
I can't add to the comprehensive prevention advice in this thread, but I have found Fenistil gel to work wonders on stopping the itching and taking down the swelling if you are unfortunately 'got'. It is an antihistamine though, so beware any allergies.

Available locally, but not seen it at home. Having said that, why would I look? No self-respecting mozzie would come near Wakefield  ;D
Clearly Doncaster is OK though - I can't believe that after reading this thread I have been 'bitten' overnight.  I never get bites at home!!!!!!

Offline Sokak91

• Newly Registered
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
That must be one TOUGH mozzie with the temperatures we've been having of late!

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Indeed  ;D

Offline tonysue

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »
When the mozzie bites it injects an alkali in to the wound, what neutralises alkali- acid. Simple lemon/lime juice or vinegar will do. Trust me people i have been biten all over the world [ and the body]!! and you cant argue with the science.  I have woken up smelling of the chippy when using vinegar in the absence of lemon though. :-[

Offline angela

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »
if I sleep next to my other half smelling like a chippy I am likely to wake up with a limb missing!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2013, 13:25:49 PM »
When I got my first bite in Letoonia in 2005. I was "treated" by a very kind Turkish man who rubbed the bite with lemon juice. Unfortunately, it did no good, the wound swelled up and became infected. I ended up seeing the Doctor at the resort, who gave me penicillin tablets, which cleared the infection.
Now we always have a bottle of penicillin tablets in the house (no prescription needed in Turkey) but the best thing I have found to immediately stop the itching and the swelling is 1% hydrocortisone cream, which is not expensive and can be bought in the U.K. and Turkey. I keep it in both bathroom cabinets i.e. in Turkey and Scotland and have always used it immediately for any bites. I spoke to my Doctor about it and he told me that is what he would advise too  ;) :D

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2013, 20:46:55 PM »
Mosquitoes  when rife as in Calis  can completely ruin your holiday. Find a good repellant.

Offline Rosy

« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »
another handy thing to use is  an Aspinvenim  tool which is a extractor which looks a bit like an icing nozzle with a cup attachment. It uses vacuum to suck out the bite thus eliminating the irritating itch that follows on from bites. This can be bought online or at Boots at a cost of about £14 - £16, it also works on snake and scorpion bites. Poundland also used to stock them but have not seen them there for ages. It is so useful we always have one at the house and one in the car. May sound expensive for what it is, but once you have one you will really appreciate it.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2013, 13:56:26 PM »
Rosy, I bought one of those thingy's in Lidl's last year, I think it was around £2.99.  Knowing Lidl's they will get them in again for the Summer.  ;)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2013, 14:20:30 PM »
if I sleep next to my other half smelling like a chippy I am likely to wake up with a limb missing!!

Sausage and chips   :) - YUM !!!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf