Author Topic: If it makes me no better, then so be it  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: If it makes me no better, then so be it
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 23:07:56 PM »
I meant they are arrested at a later time and not in a position to "turn the gun on themselves". Once found guilty, chuck them in a cell and chuck a gun in after them - 99% will use it.

And that's the punishment you suggest for them. The one they would choose for themselves.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 23:14:59 PM »
And the 1 % who don't ?.  What would you do with them.

I would suggest that the State administer the the punishment that I suggested for them.

The one (punishment) they were too cowardly to choose for themselves.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 23:28:04 PM by Highlander »

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »
There are several reasons that I cannot agree with the ultimate penalty - 
The wrong person could be convicted and there's no going back if they have been terminated.
There are varying degrees of violence attached to murders and also levels of reason and pre-meditation e.g.,   battered wife poisons partner when she can take no more versus the animal in question here and others like him - Soham springs to mind.
So how do we decide who gets the death penalty? 

I am completely supportive of punishment, harsh punishment and reading Ann's comments regarding luxuries and rights afforded to prisoners turns my stomach.  We have it so wrong - these prisoners gave away their 'rights' when they committed the crime.

Offline jrichards1

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:09:48 AM »
Bring back public hanging, I'll sell the pints and pies.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 08:34:29 AM »
Bluewise, science now allows us to prove beyond reasonable doubt,  and I  hope that 'miscarriage of justice' is now a thing of the past.  No one wants to see an innocent person convicted.
You do have a valid point though with regards to the varying degrees with which murder is carried out and I'm sure any judge will take all the evidence into account before passing sentence.  However,  those who take life in the pre meditated manner of this case should have a punishment that fits the crime.  Life, should mean exactly that.  Imprisoned for eternity and without the right to all mod cons afforded them by our prison system at the moment but, unfortunately that doesn't happen here does it?  I therefor stand by my previous statement that capital punishment, be it hanging or some other method should be returned to our judicial system.

Offline angela

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »
It is without doubt one of the most contentious debates of modern times and always will be. For me, the instinctive reaction is to string them up, but I think that probably isn't the answer, but a life of luxury behind bars is no consolation to the grieving. Solitary confinement, no TV, gyms, computers, just your own thoughts to drive you mad every day is a much more chilling prospect, and if the likes of Brady etc consider that to be cruel, well so be it!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »
Interesting how a red herring about a life of luxury behind bars can skew the debate about a legitimate question on the death penalty!

Most prisoners in custody are not guilty of the violent and sadistic crime that is alleged here and most will in fact return to life in the community; one we all live in!

I had a look at the SPS web site which I was rather impressed with and if half of what they claim is true then good on them, and read a couple of articles at each end of the reporting scale – the scaremongering Sun claiming the moral high ground and furiously complaining about how life is better on the inside than for most of us law abiding and no doubt hard working citizens on the outside and the rather more rational reporting by the BBC.

The BBC more objectively reports that the emphasis on the prison regime at for example Low Moss is to establish a culture that is an incentive to prisoners to work a 9-5 working week. In fact power to cells will be cut off from 8.30am leaving those that choose not to work with nothing to do.

The regime is more about a long term vision that encourages the development of skills and a work ethic that will be useful for prisoners on release and return to the community.

"The importance is to get through to people that they get out of their beds in the morning and have to earn their privileges. The money they earn will then be converted to pay for their (50" screen) TVs and any other privileges they have. It's as much to try to normalize their routine so they understand what it's like to hold a job in the community."

Read more here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16691045

By the way I am against the death penalty!

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »
To me there is too many grey areas to catagorically say that we should have the death penalty. Judges are not consistant in their approach to sentencing for one.
I also beleive ALL prisons should be like in Poridge, Grey grim cells with a bunk bed and a sink in the corner. All this denying of human rights is utter bull sh1t

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 13:40:52 PM »
Nicola there are many who live within the law, work their socks off and cannot afford a gym membership or 50" tv for that matter. 
Why should we, the tax payer stump up for anything remotely classed as a luxury for those in prison?
Perhaps if you lived, as I do, in one of the poorer areas of UK you'd see that much of the system does not work.  Time and time again I see people re offend and are more than happy to 'go back inside' because it's three square meals a day, a roof over their heads and time away from those they owe to for their drug habit.

Last week my son and two of his neighbours had the misfortune to be burgled as they slept but that's ok, when, and if they're caught they'll be locked up with no power from 8.30pm - SHAME!!

Sorry for going off topic folks but, and this is only my opinion, there are too many 'do gooders' in this world when really a good hard reality slap would work so much better.

Offline angela

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 13:46:20 PM »
Anne, I have to agree sadly, with the majority (without wishing to tar/brush) of people in jail never having a work ethic to start with, I don't think this will make a scrap of difference, as the prevalence of drugs and violence in jails testifies, you don't need hard cash to get what you want.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf