Author Topic: Taking food in your cases ?  (Read 14126 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Taking food in your cases ?
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 16:50:12 PM »
So, no need to bring food, drink or clothes. Is there any point in having even hand baggage :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 17:15:17 PM »
The one thing I find difficult to buy in Turkey is clothes.  I just don't like any of the women's stuff they have in the shops. It's very gaudy and also lots of it is made from cheap material.   I have bought two dresses from Defacto and also one dress in that lovely shop at the seafront in Kalkan that sell all the cheesecloth floaty dresses.  That's it... Since 2005 the sum total of my clothing buys. :( 
Also, if it was possible to buy in the shops locally around Fethiye, all us ladies would be walking around in the same things.  :o : :)
I have spoken to a few of the lady ex-pats who told me they go to Istanbul to shop for clothes as that's where all the well know shops we have in the U.K. are.
So, I will still be coming over with my suitcase full of clothes and shoes and even if I wanted to, there would be no room for food. ;D  ;)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 17:54:11 PM »
Well my comments provoked a lively discussion, especially as I usually bring at least twice as many clothes, shoes and bags as I'll ever need.  Would like to make one point Scunner, I never mentioned anything about not bringing drink into Turkey.  2 bottles of Smirnoff vodka for £20.00 on the plane, and as you say a box of decent wine at the airport, and the holiday starts here !!  ;)

Offline George Warner

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 18:00:57 PM »
same as you Keith flew in on the Istanbul -Dalaman shuttle. "please open"after pushing aside a few clothes came across the goodies,"ah jambon very nice,English Cheese very nice, any cigarettes" no said I."OK no problem close please"

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 18:21:15 PM »
Would like to make one point Scunner, I never mentioned anything about not bringing drink into Turkey.  2 bottles of Smirnoff vodka for £20.00 on the plane, and as you say a box of decent wine at the airport, and the holiday starts here !!   ;)

I'm with you all the way echs - my holiday starts at the airport and my shopping list would be similar to yours. I mentioned drink in reference to Jacqui's comment about her neighbours bringing wine  :)

Offline King Frat

Taking food in your cases ?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 18:53:42 PM »
Go to KIPA and you can buy identical T shirt etc. to those on sale in Tesco in Solihull.  Prices are similar.  I bought a T shirt last week in Calis KIPA for 28TL.  £10 in Tesco.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2013, 19:10:50 PM »
UK is cheaper, website 5pound for everything, definitely throwaway clothes, rip them ruin them does'nt matter. I travel light, the clothes out in the villa have done me for 2or 3 summers, so what, Calis is not a fashion parade, nothing really special to dress for is there? and who notices.  I get comments from friends "nice Dress" I bite my tongue, thinking you said that 2 summers ago  ;D

I have been through my wardrobe in UK, Asda M&S Tesco, Evans, and many of the items 'Made in Turkey'; me being the skinflint that I am did not pay any more than £10 for any item, and that is pushing the boat out.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2013, 19:24:19 PM »
By the way Scunner my name is Sheila, I called myself Echogirl after my address, but as I am now moving its lost all relevance.  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2013, 19:30:10 PM »
I didn't think your real name was echogirl, Shiela  :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2013, 19:39:34 PM »
Also, if it was possible to buy in the shops locally around Fethiye, all us ladies would be walking around in the same things.  :o :   :)
I have spoken to a few of the lady ex-pats who told me they go to Istanbul to shop for clothes as that's where all the well know shops we have in the U.K. are.

So instead of all the ladies walking around in the same Turkish clothes, they are all walking around with the same M&S stuff  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf