Author Topic: first jump off Baba Dağ  (Read 3254 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: first jump off Baba Dağ
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 19:47:01 PM »
Do they issue "Superman" costumes then Eric ?? Guarantee of vulnerability with every glass of Raki !!

Offline CLR

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 20:14:11 PM »
We did paraglide off Baba Dag on our very first holiday to Turkey about 12 or so years ago!! If I knew then what I know now I certainly wouldn't of taken the risk!! However, on saying that it was a fabulous experience and I did enjoy it - I even did wing overs!!! Won't be trying it again though!!

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 20:25:39 PM »
Having spent many hour sitting on my chair on the beach reading and looking around over the years I have seen enough accidents to never tell anyone that doing this would be a good idea.

Including watching the helicopter trying to find a falken body on the side of the mountain!!!!

Offline CAROL BROWNE

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 20:54:29 PM »
i used sky sports 7 jumps nice smooth landing. it's much better up there now no gravel anymore

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 21:04:17 PM »
We did paraglide off Baba Dag on our very first holiday to Turkey about 12 or so years ago!!

And they're probably still using the same equipment today.

Offline CLR

• Newly Registered
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 21:05:39 PM »
You may well be right!!!!

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 21:15:53 PM »
Having seen two bad accidents in two visits, please don't do it, jump out of the plane on the way into Dalaman instead, got to be safer!!!

Offline GJMEP

• Newly Registered
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 21:39:08 PM »
I have used Sky Sports for the last 19 years and I have never experienced any problems. They insure you for the flight so you don't need to get any insurance yourself.
I'd like to know where the previous poster got his deaths figures from, I'd like to see him post his sources!
There have been accidents, but they are so rare, and a lot of them are inexperienced solo pilots. The Tandem pilots are extremely experienced and do thousands of flights each season.
I am 6' 6" and all the pilots are able to deal with me!
It is so worth doing, so go for it!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 22:09:18 PM »
Sky Sports do Insure you as all the other Turkish Companies do.  However, the insurance only covers Turkey So hospital treatment.  If you are delayed by being in Hospital and need an Hotel you pay yourself.  If you miss a scheduled flight you pay for a new flight yourself.  If you need a medi-vac home, again it up to you and a medi-vac can cost from £35.000.  Also any time you miss from your work, is not insured. 
So, this is why you need to take out Hazardous Sport Insurance before you leave.  This covers, Jeep Safaris, Kite Surfing, Paragliding and even Horse Riding.
Of course, the companies in Turkey tell you that you are insured, but have you ever asked what for??

Offline Menthol

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 02:53:26 AM »
This is from Fethiye Times, and is part of an article reporting the sentencing of a paraglider pilot to over 4 years imprisonment for his part in the death of his tandem passenger, who fell from a harness that was apparently not fit for the job.

Paragliding Popular
Oludeniz is famed for its spectacular paragliding with the famous mountain to beach flight. It also hosts an annual Air Fest at the end of October each year that attracts paragliding pilots from all over the world.

It was reported that the total number of paragliding launches from Babadağ had reached 57,000 during 2011, an increase of 3,000 on the previous year.

During 2011 year there were 7 accidents resulting in 3 deaths, and 4 people suffering broken bones.

Of the seven, six involved tandem jumps and the other one was a solo paraglider.

Between the 11 companies a total of 118 professional paraglide pilots are employed.

The 11 companies that fly from the mountain have agreed to restrict the number of flights carried out by their pilots to a 'maximum five launches in one day' for the 2012 season.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf