Author Topic: And What Edibles do you Bring BACK from Turkey..?  (Read 8479 times)

Offline Menthol

Re: And What Edibles do you Bring BACK from Turkey..?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2013, 15:04:53 PM »
Dollycat Sleeping tablets are called Unisom they are 25mg.   I don't take them all the time, just occasionally, they are very good and I find I only need a half of one for a good night's sleep.  I gave a packet to my daughter who was having sleepless nights with my Granddaughter.  When her husband returned from offshore.  My daughter  took a whole tablet to get a good night's sleep.  She really did and did not wake until 9.00am.
Marggie, Antibiotics we have at the moment are called Amoklavin 1000mg.  We also bring them back for friends and family.  Handy if you have a sore throat etc., and cannot get an appointment at the Doctor.  Just need to take one per day, but the Chemist will write the dose on the box.
To both ladies.  We buy at the Chemists opposite Migros in Fethiye town centre.  He speaks excellent English and apparently trained to be a Doctor.

Excellent information, Jacqui. Thank you!

Offline Marggie

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2013, 16:17:39 PM »
Thanks Jacqui.  We use the chemist opposite Migros - he is excellent and does a roaring trade with Brits and Turks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 19:45:04 PM by Marggie »

Offline dollycat

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 19:18:36 PM »
Thanks Jacqui.

(And sorry I spelt your name wrong last time!)

Tracey.,

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 20:39:04 PM »
No problem, my name gets spelled lots of ways...It's not a problem.
The Chemist is a great guy.  I have said before how he diagnosed a problem I had and had been given the wrong treatment by my U.K.Doctor.   This Chemists told me exactly what was wrong, even showed me the condition on his computer.  Once i got the correct tablets I was fine. 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 20:50:50 PM »
We used to use the famous chemist too when we lived there. He's so good that the doctors hate him :D

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »
I have brought tablets back from Turkey because they are so much cheaper than at home but only those I have to take regularly anyway.  I do worry about purchasing anti-biotics over the counter as there is a worldwide concern about the reduction in their effectiveness caused by mis-prescribing and/or unfinished courses.  I had been reading about bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics and some of the reasons below (from NHS England) -

"Inappropriate prescribing includes:
unnecessary prescription of antibiotics
unsuitable use of broad-spectrum antibiotics
wrong selection of antibiotics and inappropriate duration or dose of antibiotics"

I know how quickly anti-b's can get rid of a painful sore throat etc and when I have suffered, often wish I had some to hand but this could be speeding up the progress of more resistant bacteria if we take the wrong ones/ not enough for the specific infection etc?

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/arc/pages/aboutarc.aspx

Offline Menthol

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 17:28:51 PM »
I have brought tablets back from Turkey because they are so much cheaper than at home but only those I have to take regularly anyway.  I do worry about purchasing anti-biotics over the counter as there is a worldwide concern about the reduction in their effectiveness caused by mis-prescribing and/or unfinished courses.  I had been reading about bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics and some of the reasons below (from NHS England) -

"Inappropriate prescribing includes:
unnecessary prescription of antibiotics
unsuitable use of broad-spectrum antibiotics
wrong selection of antibiotics and inappropriate duration or dose of antibiotics"

I know how quickly anti-b's can get rid of a painful sore throat etc and when I have suffered, often wish I had some to hand but this could be speeding up the progress of more resistant bacteria if we take the wrong ones/ not enough for the specific infection etc?

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/arc/pages/aboutarc.aspx

You are absolutely spot on, Bluwise. When I mentioned to TA about this thread and how we could buy them in Fethiye, I got the lecture (he's an Organic Chemist and I am regularly treated to scientific lectures - lucky ol' me, eh?).

I'll be buying some.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2013, 17:51:30 PM »
We call the antibiotics horse pills and get the for friends and relatives.  They are not used constantly, just for emergencies, in fact,  I started taking some when I had to wait a few days for a Doctor's appointment.  I took them with me and the Doctor prescribed me some more and said they where the correct thing to take.  We don't pay for our prescriptions in Scotland.  So would not bring back lots of things we can get free from the Doctor.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2013, 20:03:45 PM »
Menthol, we have more than South Yorks in common - I'm married to a retired maths/physics teacher and over the years have learned not to get caught looking at the stars or I am subjected to the ins and outs of the speed of light.   I also never ask how some gadget works as that leads into a lesson on the miracles of electricity or those chip things!!  I say I've learned but actually, I still slip up now and then.......yawn, yawn

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 20:04:00 PM »
I love Turkish apple tea, but when I bring some home and make it, it never tastes the same.
Also Turkish delight, love it.
Raki, there again it doesn't taste the same !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf