Author Topic: interfering family  (Read 12349 times)

Offline joyandgary

• Newly Registered
interfering family
« on: October 08, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
We have planned for 10 years to move to Turkey . We first thought we would settle in Altinkum then Bodrum having been there for 10 years . We then got talking to a lady who said why don't you look at Fethiye calis , its so nice there . so we are out next year to see for ourselves

Anyway i have 2 sisters , they have decided to interfere with our plans regarding retiring in Turkey  , the country we love .

They said don't go you'll miss the kids and grandkids , and it's too far away for us and them to travel , Spain is cheap and more better than Turkey , well thats like waving a red flag to the bull , I instantly protected my beloved adopted country Turkey .

They also said its a muslim country and there is the army and Syria , oh god I said we are not joining up and living near syria    , then they said be careful in Turkey , I just said look we have been going to turkey for years , it's home for us , we love the people their way of life and it's magical .

They said there is break ins and  the men are creepy , oh for godsake women get a life , I said trouble is you're scared for yourselves , because you live in bubble  , never ventured outside your home towns and will live the rest of your life's   wishing you had done something.
but never dare to .

We know there is trouble in every country and you have to be on your guard wherever you live , watch your house and bags when you go out  , be sensible , don't live with your holiday head all the time and trust only yourself .

Yes we will miss the kids and the grand kids , but we don't and won't miss britain and britain is no longer the country we once new as kids .

Did anyone ever talk you out of living there ?

Please let me know how you feel and if you moved to turkey and the pitfalls , good or bad ....... thanks joy and Gary

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: interfering family
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »
Most people who try and talk you out of going to Turkey (holiday or permanently) have never even been there and are full of misinformed bigoted nonsense. Some thought we were mad to buy a place there and later they thought we had lost our minds when we announced we were moving out there, with 3 year old twins.

I work on the saying that you are far more likely to regret the things you don't do, not the things you do. You must do the same in my opinion. Believe me, it's no Utopia out there - it can be the most frustrating place on Earth, and people will spend their days discussing you (true and entirely made up things) but living in another country and culture is fabulous, especially in Turkey - very character forming.

I don't regret moving there. We live back in the UK now but with a whole new life outlook and appreciation of life that you only get from not living in the same street for your entire life.

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
When we decided to move to Fethiye some years ago, our neighbour's wife said "But you can't! Theyre all Muslims!!! Even when we inivited her and what was at the time my very good friend her husband out to visit for a holiday, her reactions was "Oh but they are all FORIEGNERS over there!!"

As you said:
oh for godsake women get a life , I said trouble is you're scared for yourselves , because you live in bubble  , never ventured outside your home towns and will live the rest of your life's   wishing you had done something.
but never dare to .

As you said J&G, GET A LIFE!!!! :o :o

TC
In Fethiye and loving it  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline stephen3219

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 13:23:14 PM »
  :)Guess the two sisters had seen Midnight Express too many times!!!

Offline joyandgary

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 13:25:03 PM »
Most people who try and talk you out of going to Turkey (holiday or permanently) have never even been there and are full of misinformed bigoted nonsense. Some thought we were mad to buy a place there and later they thought we had lost our minds when we announced we were moving out there, with 3 year old twins.

I work on the saying that you are far more likely to regret the things you don't do, not the things you do. You must do the same in my opinion. Believe me, it's no Utopia out there - it can be the most frustrating place on Earth, and people will spend their days discussing you (true and entirely made up things) but living in another country and culture is fabulous, especially in Turkey - very character forming.

I don't regret moving there. We live back in the UK now but with a whole new life outlook and appreciation of life that you only get from not living in the same street for your entire life.

Hi and thank you for taking your time to answer my post , You are so right in what you say , my sisters have only been to marmaris for holiday and that's that ......... we will move there and try before we buy and hope like you will embrace the country and all that is has to offer

I guess some have horror stories and others great adventures . cheers joy 

Offline joyandgary

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 13:26:20 PM »
   :)Guess the two sisters had seen Midnight Express too many times!!!

LOL , ha haaaaaaa , they were on that train ha ha

Offline joyandgary

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 13:29:41 PM »
When we decided to move to Fethiye some years ago, our neighbour's wife said "But you can't! Theyre all Muslims!!! Even when we inivited her and what was at the time my very good friend her husband out to visit for a holiday, her reactions was "Oh but they are all FORIEGNERS over there!!"
yes you are so right qe had the same thing said too , i will get that life we promise ourselves this for years , and one day we too will be there
As you said:
oh for godsake women get a life , I said trouble is you're scared for yourselves , because you live in bubble  , never ventured outside your home towns and will live the rest of your life's   wishing you had done something.
but never dare to .

As you said J&G, GET A LIFE!!!! :

As you said:
but never dare to .

As you said J&G, GET A LIFE!!!! :o :o

TC
TC

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 13:34:19 PM »
My family thought I was mad to sell up and move to Turkey. My brother said that I would hate living amongst 'filthy Arabs'. Shows how much geography he knows. He fell out with me when I ignored his 'advice' and has not spoken to me since.
I have since returned to the U.K. a lot poorer in my purse, but a lot richer in life experience. My old mum-in-law had a saying that life wasn't a rehearsal, and you only get one chance to live it. You have to do what is right for you.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 13:39:00 PM »
joyandgary - forgive me but with all the tuzlachap quotes I found it extremely difficult to tell what your last post actually said  :-[

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 13:44:26 PM »
My wife and I have an apartment in Calis and we try to visit at least 3 times a year and one day we would love to spend more time there but not live there,  when we first planned our first holiday allot of my friends and family said why there why not Spain,  you know what the Turks are like you’ve seen midnight run my first reaction was to think small minded people and to ignore them and I really am glad we did we have met some of the nicest people of all nationalities. We have stopped going to Spain or Portugal and have now started to visit other parts of Turkey (we went to Istanbul as part of our last visit to Calis and hope to go again next year).
When I am on Holiday I always have a wallet with a chain that attaches to my belt sometimes people look at me and must think it’s because of pickpockets and muggers that frequent the streets and bars of Calis but it’s a bit of a habit now and it started in Barcelona when a old man in his 70s tried to pick pocket me, so where ever you go in the world there’s as much chance of something happening to you as there is in Calis Beach  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf