Author Topic: You Can Always Tell When it's Vote Time on CBF  (Read 4446 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: You Can Always Tell When it's Vote Time on CBF
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 00:24:22 AM »
Nobody at TA seems at all bothered by this sort of thing.
I think they subscribe to the old saying that there is no such thing as *bad* publicity, hence lack of action over press coverage of the fake reviews etc - in one case a guy down in Cornwall invented a restaurant and wrote a load of reviews.  Some poor sods went all the way down there to eat as well...!

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »
I remember an Altinkum website organizing a poll of the top Turkish resorts. The list included Altinkum, Bodrum, Marmaris, Fethiye and a few others. CBF members were encouraged to join in the poll. Suddenly Fethiye had hundreds of votes and eventually won the poll by a distance. At the end the poll was quietly closed with no comment on the result from the website. Perhaps it wasn't the one that was anticipated and/or wanted.

[P.S. The poll didn't have very good security so I am trusting that CBFers restricted themselves to voting only three times].

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 13:48:25 PM »
It's a shame for the restaurants who don't have F.B. or a Website, they can't rally customers to join CBF and vote for them.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 14:25:35 PM »
Maybe, but there's nothing we can do about that.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 22:42:35 PM »
If I was asked by a restaurant to join and vote for them and was bothered enough to join, when I saw the list of places I would vote for my genuine favorite not necessarily the one that asked me, if you get my drift.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 22:48:06 PM »
Re Trip advisor I find that if you know the area it can sometimes be surprising which restaurants come out on top. Some are little known or never very busy compared to others or even known to be a bit ropey. This obvious makes one suspicious of the validity of the reviews. I would never take TA on face value.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 23:23:19 PM »
Barbella made great play about there Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence Certificate.

After we eat there this year, we wondered if the Trip Advisor supervisor (assuming such a person exists) had actually visited the restaurant.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 00:41:07 AM »
If there is such a role, I'm applying for the next vacancy.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 06:58:53 AM »
Reviews of some  restaurants on T.A. are alway baffling.  We tried Meeting Point for the first time this year because of the great reviews here on CBF and found the place very good and would now go there regularly. However  on  reading the reviews for Sept/Oct this year on T.A  I was surprise to read some bad reviews, that seemed not to fit this restaurant at all.  Reviews that may put people off this lovely restaurant.   
I would say I would trust the reviews of restaurants in the Calis/Fethiye area far more than the reviews on T.A.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
The ranking system is certainly baffling. Mozaik Bahce CBF and TA tend to agree on but even they have lost their number 1 position on TA to Cubana Cocktail Bar - in Hisaronu - 5/5 from just 37 votes and Mozaik Bahce 2nd with 4.5 from 546 votes? Also a firm favourite every year with CBF is another big favourite of mine - Kings Garden, who always make top 3 in our annual poll, were top 3 on TA then a string of bad reviews, all in a short space of time, did for them - now their 4.5 vote average from 239 reviews gets them 29th place?

I could go on but suffice to say, I too prefer the opinions on CBF over TA - but then I'm a bit biased  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf