Author Topic: Like button  (Read 12019 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Like button
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 17:18:35 PM »
I would imagine its all down to money and put there for a reason. The reason being to get you to click on it to generate more money for the advertiser in some other way or another.

What on Earth are you talking about? You seem to have no idea about it at all. The like button, when clicked, will let the person who's post you liked, know that you liked it. No money, no advertisers.

Its the same with all the annoying adverts. It seem you cannot go on many sites these days and you are hit by them.Many are to do with these social media sites. They should all be banned.

Perhaps you can then choose between (a) paying for membership and the advice and information you receive for nothing at present or (b) that I should pay for the hosting costs (which run into hundreds of pounds a year) out of my own pocket so I can provide somewhere for ungrateful sods like you to come without charge or request for payment and spout ill informed crap.

Yes I'm annoyed - the adverts save me losing money year after year (if people click on them, there's no obligation to) - if you can't stand the adverts p1ss off somewhere else!!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 17:24:20 PM »
I know the adverts help to pay for this website and I have to say I do click into them to help pay the costs as over the last 9 years this Forum has been invaluable to me and I am extremely grateful it's here.  I can honesty say i don't know what i would do without it for all my Calis/Fethiye information.   So thanks Keith... now calm down most of us are very fond of you and don't want to see you upset. ;D   ;)
On the subject of the Like button.  I see "like" in red at the bottom of postings, but I have no idea how to add it, as I am using my ipad and it does not seem to bring up a like button?? :-[

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 17:32:50 PM »
Jacqui - when Steve has got it working I think you will look back on that post and say "Doh!"  ;D

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 17:38:09 PM »
Think that this all depends on whether you are used to using FB pages or not.. I know that some people still dont use social media sites...

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 17:51:35 PM »
Really? I don't know who that could be in this day and age.

Oh, it's me!

Offline engineerdave

• Newly Registered
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 18:36:58 PM »
Quote Scunner

What on Earth are you talking about? You seem to have no idea about it at all. The like button, when clicked, will let the person who's post you liked, know that you liked it. No money, no advertisers.

Ok so I'm wrong and there is no money involved, But why on earth would anyone on this site need to know whether or not if their post is liked or not. Cannot see the point myself. That's my opinion. Thats if I'm allowed to have one without being told to wee off. Nice attitude to have with members.
Of course I appreciate that you need to cover your costs and advertising is a part of that. but I myself do not like them and never will. If it meant paying to be a member of the forum it would not worry me one bit. Again just my opinion.I did not intend to annoy you Scunner so if I did I'm sorry.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 18:44:46 PM »
I like the 'like' button as it is always good for use in debate and also when people are throwing in ideas

As for paying to be a member, I suspect that most would put up with the odd annoying advert, and to be honest I have seen far more annoying intrusions by advertising online, rather than pay.

I have no proof other that my numerous years in eCommerce but in my opinion charging people to be a member will reduce numbers which in turn reduces comments which in turn reduces numbers which in turn....you get my point

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 18:51:40 PM »

Nice attitude to have with members.

Only members who think free still isn't cheap enough. If you'd put as many hours into running this site over TEN YEARS and doing your best helping members with their Calis related situations, you'd understand. As it is, your only worry in life is having adverts to ignore.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 18:57:28 PM »
Oh, it's me!

And me.

Of course I appreciate that you need to cover your costs and advertising is a part of that. but I myself do not like them and never will. If it meant paying to be a member of the forum it would not worry me one bit.

A selection of Belhaven vouchers can be sent to Keith and we promise never to show you the like button. Ever.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 19:04:54 PM »
Make the like button a link to Google adverts, might as well make 6p out of all this backlash  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf