Author Topic: Calis Beach  (Read 22851 times)

Offline Lotty

Re: Calis Beach
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »
Another of those issues that nobody wants to own, ok, things are in a state of flux right now but everyone benefits from tourism, if they all got together and made a serious joint effort they would all win! It's really embarrassing when we all recommend this beautiful place to people and now we're just cringing because of the apparent lack of civic pride. :(

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 14:55:08 PM »
I have to admit that I was only considering the lagoon at Olu. I've never actually been on the main beach apart from striding across it to board a boat. Please don't think I'm trying to defend Calis beach because I think it's a disgrace like everyone else.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 20:57:00 PM »
There is a very good article in this weeks Sun Express where Mete is quoted extensively saying that his "traders association" - Calis-Der - http://www.calisder.org/ has had grave concerns that as FETAB who managed the beach for the last 4 years and have now been closed down with all of the local political changes - that we could see a return to the pre FETAB days of no periodic cleaning or preparations being carried out for the coming season.

Consequently Calis-Der has sent all the appropriate applications to Mugla Provincial Directorate of Environment and Urbanisation requesting that they be allowed to take on the management of the beach. If successful they will be the first ever civil society organisation to be given permission to manage their own beach.

Mete speaks very passionately about how the state of the beach puts people off and hard won tourists who come early season and see the state of the beach may never return and even use social media to tell friends how bad it is!

He also says the recent elections had to be "completed" with the appropriate people appointed before they could get a realistic chance of getting their application dealt with.

So it seems they are trying and do know the damage it causes...................

Offline Jenny1

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 13:16:16 PM »
In all the years I've been coming to Calis, I can honestly say I've never spent 1 day on the beach, it's horrid :(

Offline wishbone

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 15:03:35 PM »
As has already been mentioned Surely it is in the interest of the Bar/Restaurant owners along the promenade to keep the beach clean & Tidy, nobody wants to sit to Eat or Drink looking over an untidy Beach let alone the People who want to use it!

Offline thinwhiteduke

• Newly Registered
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2014, 15:56:02 PM »
I found it nice at the Sat restaurant part of the beach!

Offline Trev

• Sunset Beach
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 18:02:43 PM »
Was there over Easter break and couldn't believe the amount of smashed glass bottles on the beach between Sunset Beach Club and the Surf Cafe. It's bad enough to be lazy and leave one's rubbish behind but it's beyond me why people would want to break glass on a beach. I'm a keen windsurfer and use the kit at the Surf Cafe regularly. Last week I had a couple of glorious sessions with those amazing thermal breezes and magnificent backdrop but dreaded the return back to the beach in case I got a piece of glass lodged in my foot.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 08:08:38 AM »
I fear that until people can earn money from the beach no one wants to tidy it.When I was in Thailand the beach was sectioned into privately run area's and they all had nice sunbeds,cushions,umbrella's food and drink service and so on and they paid rent to the council. Because they are competing with the next section they keep the places spotless and provide great service .If they could do that here it would be fantastic. 8)
I have lived here for 9 years and never once have I used Calis beach along the front.The Sat area wins every time for me.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 10:08:07 AM »
I fear that until people can earn money from the beach no one wants to tidy it.

The tragic part is that you can't seem to get across how a dirty beach may cost them business.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 11:13:52 AM »
Guven & Carol 'get it' they keep their beach in great order, in fact, so much so, I'm off there right now for a beer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf