Author Topic: Tourist numbers are down!  (Read 10021 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Tourist numbers are down!
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:17:51 AM »
According to a Fethiye Times article tourist numbers for this area are well down on previous years, occupancy rates at about 60%.

I blame the tour operators for their hugely inflated initial flight prices which accounts for the fact that many remained unsold and you can now pick up a flight at a fraction of their original selling prices so they can try to fill the many empty seats on their planes.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
Re: Tourist numbers are down!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:22:19 AM »
We were on Calis front last night, not as busy as normal but still plenty bums on seats at the busier end.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:41:28 AM »
They are never going to reduce flights from Aberdeen, those flights are always fully booked even paying £756 for two flight only tickets, there will be no empty seats.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »
So, with the exception of Aberdeen, there are lots of empty seats on flights arriving in Turkey now and have been for the past month or so.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:17:21 AM »
I think it's because of the education system now fining families £1,000 per child per week for taking them out of school during term time. This along with the extortionate prices of holidays outside of term time.

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »
Flights from Scotland are always more expensive than flights from the likes of Manchester, Birmingham and of course the 'capital' of the universe LONDON!  I also felt that Calis and Fethiye were less busy when I was there last month but the simple truth is that people in the UK are struggling to live and keep up with bills, despite what the government are telling us about inflation being 'down'.  In a country where food banks are increasing daily, it wouldn't matter how cheap flights and holidays are, people are not able to afford them.  Have a look at holiday, flight and accommodation prices for 2015 - frightening.  Even holidays to Spain are ridiculously priced.  On this basis, I can see 2015 being even quieter in Calis and Fethiye.  Then of course, depending on the outcome of the elections in Turkey next month, further restrictions on alcohol and possible additional taxes, will kill tourism completely in Turkey. The present government (Erdogan) says that realistically the Turkish Lira should be 2.18 to the UK pound. Gloomy news but true.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
£1000 per child ? Surely not !

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
I think it's because of the education system now fining families £1,000 per child per week for taking them out of school during term time. This along with the extortionate prices of holidays outside of term time.

Sorry Slikmrs but according to the Gov.uk website these are the current penalty/fines that can be applied, which for some people is worth paying to save hundreds on a holiday.

One of my nieces took her 11 year old out of school for 2 weeks recently and the fine far made up for the family of 4 (the other child is only just over 2) by paying in excess of £1100 for the holiday out of school time.

Can't say I agree with this action but can see the financial sense as they have not been abroad for many years

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
Quoted from Ray 1951s post :  "The present government (Erdogan) says that realistically the Turkish Lira should be 2.18 to the UK pound. Gloomy news but true."

Oh my if it actually went that low I could change my lira saving back to sterling and might even make a profit, rather than losing around 30% on my investment. But I can't see the lira ever being that strong again.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 10:18:13 AM »
So, with the exception of Aberdeen, there are lots of empty seats on flights arriving in Turkey now and have been for the past month or so.

Definitely.  Third week in July for seven days, £160 return from Glasgow - haven't seen prices like that for a while.  Plenty of cheap, sub £200, return tickets from lots of other regional airports (Skyscanner).  Seems to be plenty of cheap singles as well, £60 or thereabouts, perfect to mix and match for those with flexibility.

Reasons:  well, I think you're partially right Nicola, but there are a lot of other factors - weak euro against pound, bad press over past year, better AI deals elsewhere and one I feel is significant is that many regular visitors may now be feeling "Turkeyed" out.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf