Author Topic: Has Calis Changed - or is it Us?  (Read 15502 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Has Calis Changed - or is it Us?
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 23:50:27 PM »
And those who never will because they are too busy slagging off those who do :D

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2014, 00:04:21 AM »
We must for get that the popularity if this forum has helped Calis to change... There are many of us who wouldn't have bought here. Been on holiday here and know all what we know without it... 

Offline ECHOSTAR

• Uk and Sky Tv no Problem
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2014, 04:46:13 AM »
So your the one to Blame  ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »
My first trip to Turkey was to Ovacik in 1992. Package holiday tourism was just beginning to take off at that time. We first stayed at the Ucel (now the redeveloped Grand Ucel with water park). We would walk to Hisaronu at that time mostly past fields of goats and in the pitch dark at night. We went back (to Hisaronu) in the following two years. We then decided it was getting "a bit too big". Hisaronu in particular was basically more or less doubling in size year on year, and we went to a few other places instead. One memory from then is that public address system they had all around Hisaronu. What was all that about?

Fethiye must have trebled in size over the last 20 years or so too.

In all honesty, once we are without the kids again (possibly never...), we'd be tempted to head back to Kalkan where we had 3 great holidays in 2000/1. That place had just such a lovely atmosphere (but some odd hoteliers).

As the title of this is "Has Calis Changed" When I read your comment about Kalkan it made me smile. We often go down to Kalkan for and have lunch at the Harbour, it's a lovely little boutique resort.
We got speaking to a couple there from N.Irleland.  They told us they had bought a place in Kalkan 15 years ago and they thought Kalkan had now changed out of all recognition. They went on to say that too many villas are being built and the place had become expensive and not the one they used to love.
It would seem that every place may loose it's charm to the people who have been visiting for many years.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2014, 10:21:24 AM »
We must ntfor get that the popularity if this forum has helped Calis to change... There are many of us who wouldn't have bought here. Been on holiday here and know all what we know without it... 

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2014, 15:26:57 PM »
When we first went to Calis some friends of ours, the publicans of our local, urged us to try the pide made in the open air oven at the side of the dolmus terminal at the end of the prom just past Letoon. "Pizza as big a dustbin lids", we were told. It wasn't there; it had simply disappeared. We shrugged "Well things change".

But there was a new hotel, just opened that year, at the end of the prom situated so when you passed Letoon it was straight in front of you just after the prom walkway turned right. We went there with our two daughters for a "Turkish Night" - i.e. a meal with an arabic (belly) dancer performing later. We had had a great time as a family new to Turkey, enjoying everything we found, and this night made all happy. It was quite big hotel with a lovely big garden area between the beach and the dusty rutted lane that had a lot of German-named restaurants along one side - the Berlin, the Nurnberg, and so on. So the next year we decided to go back to this hotel for a meal. It wasn't there; it had simply disappeared. This time we didn't shrug. Instead, "Blimey, knocking down an outdoor oven is one thing. But a three-story 50 bedroom hotel? Gone in a year?". That's Turkey.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 15:42:00 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Old Nick

• Newly Registered
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2014, 15:41:01 PM »
 Hello, you may wonder what the hell is he doing here, he has only just joined, but as my sister has a property in the area, and we have visited on several occasions and also been to various parts of Turkey, I think I may be entitled to an opinion.  Change,,,,,, bring it on.  Change keeps us all on our feet, makes sure that we keep in tune.  I have seen the mess the new roads caused, but also this year seen the results, outstanding!  The Kanal, I have yet to see the benefits, but I am sure there is an end result which is perceived by the authorities if not yet by us. If we do not change and also change our attitudes, (because the majority of us are "over t'ill" ;) we will be left behind, and I am sure those who have invested in the area and those who have an interest would not like that to happen.  Yes there has been change in buckets full, but without that change -yes, we could be looking at the bridge and the fields beyond, but where would the holiday makers be?  In Marmaris perhaps or some equally horrifying place? Who would be running the businesses we enjoy and exptect?  We are all surrounded by change, and we ourselves change, would we have ever imagined in the 60s and 70s that we could look up for some information on something called the "web" and get it instantly.  Yes, change happens, embrase and enjoy.  If you want to move forward, and who wouldn't or couldn't, then yes, change is a good thing and we ourselves have changed enormously by accepting it!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2014, 18:23:38 PM »

Hello, you may wonder what the hell is he doing here, he has only just joined, but as my sister has a property in the area, and we have visited on several occasions and also been to various parts of Turkey, I think I may be entitled to an opinion.

Please don't think like that Old Nick, every member is entitled to post their opinion on CBF, there is no other way  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf