Author Topic: How much time do you spend in the internet?  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Lotty

Re: How much time do you spend in the internet?
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »
She's frightened of it Wordbird, so many older people are and they find many excuses to hide that. I still know many older (or not so old) people who never switch their mobile phones on, insisting they're just for emergencies! Paradox or what?   ;)

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 11:18:08 AM »
Totally addicted I am afraid, get up, make cup of tea, log on, check e-mails, check forum, check weather forecast, check on-line diary, pay a few bills etc.  10.30 am after walking dog, log on, check e-mails, check forum, check facebook, play a silly game for 30 mins.  3.30 get home, log on check e-mails, check forum, reply to some messages, make a cup of tea, then play silly game for 30 mins. 6.30 log on, check e-mails, check facebook, check diary, look on forum.  Where I find time to do housework, washing, shopping etc. I'll never know!!!

Echogirl1 you sound like you are suffering from Repetitive Behaviour Syndrome might be worth getting it checked out by the quack!!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 13:33:45 PM »
Mum is 89 next birthday and will spend 4/5 highly enjoyable hours a week on the internet

My brother recently bought my mum (79) an iPad

I recently did a web site makeover for an older persons group - it also included putting in a Content Management System for them to add/edit the content of the web site.  The site administrators are all in their 70/80's...  Three training sessions and off they went, adding articles, updating event calendars etc. 

Never underestimate an "older" persons ability to pick up a new skill.

JF

Offline quackers

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 17:19:57 PM »
For me 2 hours over breakfastcatchıng up wıth the kıds ,grandkıds (ıts lıke havıng them round the corner), readıng the newspapers ,answerıng maıl,checkıng banks UK and Turkey. 2hours ın the evenıng doıng the same . I love technology.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 17:47:07 PM »
I still know many older (or not so old) people who never switch their mobile phones on, insisting they're just for emergencies! Paradox or what?       ;)
Paradox? Not at all. Quite sensible in my view. I resisted getting one for many years. While I was working I worried that if there was some problem or other the "office" would phone me up. When they asked for my mobile number I was able to tell them I didn't have one. They didn't believe me but at least they couldn't phone me when I was off work; why else would they have wanted it?

When I retired I didn't want a mobile phone because Hilary would be phoning me in the pub with "When are you coming home? Can you pick up a pint of milk and half a dozen eggs on the way back? Don't be long." I finally acceded to my children's demands to get one, indeed they gave me one of their old ones, when I had health problems. After about three months of pestering I actually took it out with me. After another three months I agreed to switch it on. Guess what? Hilary now phones me to get me out of the pub, and to buy milk and eggs on my home. It is useless for emergencies such as breaking down in the car in the middle of Exmoor because there is no bloody signal.

How on earth could people do without this boon of modern technology? It's their age I suppose!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 19:51:00 PM »
Actually, I need to talk to you :D

Excellent value set menu Italian may be on the cards...

Spanish?  We could do it in a day from EDI  :)

JF

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 20:27:25 PM »
I think she likes it :-)

Offline patrice

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 21:16:11 PM »
A care home I visit regular  the owner set up a PC in a communal  area for the residents  average age is 80 They have been taught  basic skill of how to use. Unbelievable how this as changed their outlook on life    ;)  :) 

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 00:51:54 AM »
Still on!

Offline Marggie

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 20:17:21 PM »
I'm tempted to read these posts out to my MIL who refuses to use the iPad my sis-in-law gave her as a means to easily communicate with us now we're all out of the UK.
We thought she'd like FaceTime because we could still see each other, but no - won't use it because she doesn't like the way she looks.
Doesn't read her emails. Insists Facebook is 'broken' every time we suggest we use the message facility on there.
Just wants good, old-fashioned, landline-to-landline-cost-a-fortune telephone calls.....  :-\

There are a couple of cheaper alternatives.  You could Skype her to her landline, calls cost 2.1p a minute from Turkey to UK or there is a Turkcell package costing 9 lira which gives an hour a month anywhere in Europe to landline or mobile. (Link below).  You could try putting a patch over the camera lens on her iPad.

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=55489.0

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf