Author Topic: If We Could All Vote - Would the Scotland Vote Be As Close?  (Read 8056 times)

Offline apollo

Re: If We Could All Vote - Would the Scotland Vote Be As Close?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 16:43:23 PM »
All i can say is well said Colwyn clever clever man indeed.  We are not all numpties that cant see the wood from the trees. Really fed up of scotland being governed by a party  that scotland have never voted in in the first place. Time to change all that.

I believe that we are waiting for Colwyn to answer Rimms' post.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 17:07:48 PM »

Really fed up of scotland being governed by a party  that scotland have never voted in in the first place. Time to change all that.

I am sure you will correct me if I'm wrong but an independent Scotland would be governed by the SNP, who got less than 20% of the Scottish vote in the last General Election - so 80.1% of people in Scotland would be governed by a party they didn't vote for..!

Offline apollo

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 17:15:53 PM »

Really fed up of scotland being governed by a party  that scotland have never voted in in the first place. Time to change all that.

I am sure you will correct me if I'm wrong but an independent Scotland would be governed by the SNP, who got less than 20% of the Scottish vote in the last General Election - so 80.1% of people in Scotland would be governed by a party they didn't vote for..!

Ain't democracy a bug*er?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 17:20:13 PM »
It is, but the point I am making is Yes campaigners complain about being ruled by a Tory goverment they didn't vote for, but 4 in 5 didn't vote for Salmond either. They did in larger numbers for the Scottish Parliament, but when it came to choosing the 'real' government they bottled it   ;)

A bit like voting Green/UKIP at local elections, but wouldn't dream of it in a General election perhaps :D

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 17:51:40 PM »

Actually no...  "Independence Day" is set for 24th March 2016 and this will be closely followed by Scottish elections on the 5th May 2016.  I suspect the voting pattern will be very different to the past few Holyrood elections.

You sure about the 20%?  I think it was closer to 44% the SNP had for the popular vote.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 18:00:12 PM »
Not not entirely sure but I think so. The point still stands at 44% though.

It would be interesting to see what the future holds for the SNP in a Scottish National Parliament - they wanted independence and if delivered, why vote for them afterwards...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 18:06:01 PM »
Cross purposes.  Scottish elections for Holyrood was 45.4%, according to the Beeb also, I think you're quoting UK elections.

Scotland elections 2011

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 18:11:35 PM »
No I said General Election. Not the silly Holyrood Bamboo house one   ;) My point is based on the whinging about getting a Tory government in General Elections when they didn't vote for one - the fact being they hugely didn't vote for the SNP either...

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 18:16:10 PM »
You did.  I'll give you that one.  The voting pattern in the 2010 GE does reinforce what I mentioned about the first Independent Scottish election, if it ever happens that is, and how folks will vote differently.  I suspect that the Scottish Labour Party will be in seventh heaven if its a Yes on Thursday.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf