Author Topic: Scotland votes NO tonIndependence  (Read 4842 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Scotland votes NO tonIndependence
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 07:48:36 AM »
One Minister yesterday said it was time to " level things up across the UK, and there would be winners and losers "

and cynical old me read into that comment that in order to give England the benefits enjoyed by Scotland, Scotland's

benefit's would be reduced to pay for it.  Naughty me.       ;)

The Minister may have been Hammond.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 08:29:01 AM »
Typo on my part I'm afraid should have read 1997

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »
No not that  :)

Offline atinabay

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 11:07:36 AM »
One Minister yesterday said it was time to " level things up across the UK, and there would be winners and losers "

and cynical old me read into that comment that in order to give England the benefits enjoyed by Scotland, Scotland's

benefit's would be reduced to pay for it.  Naughty me.        ;)

The Minister may have been Hammond.

Sad that he is inferring that for the UK to be level, standards of living should drop for some rather than increasing for others . Is he going to be one of the losers?.. What a cop out... He hasn't really thought that one out has he.... That could have been put another way, but it shows how out of touch these guys are with the peoples they rule over. I can't get the vision of shepherds and sheep out of my head when it comes to politicians these days.. The gap between them and us is growing at a frightening rate.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2014, 00:33:57 AM »
Gordon Brown, back from his self imposed sulk, has pledged that promises made in London to

the people of Scotland will be kept.

That's the same Gordon Brown who along with Teflon Tony promised us at three earlier General

Elections that a New Labour government would give us a Referendum on leaving the EU.

Sorry Scotland.     :(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2014, 00:47:14 AM »
In fairness Gordon Brown has not been in a sulk, he has returned to being a very effective constituency MP (the one thing Salmond forgot to do) - he is the Westminster MP for the area my mother and brother both live in. He is a bungling, bumbling lump most of the time - I must agree with the general opinion - but he is passionate about the things he believes in (begrudgingly I admit like Salmond in that respect).

I admire him for stepping up when someone was quite obviously needed to go out and try and put the No campaign back on the rails, and seems he did a great job of it.

He doesn't need to do any of this. But as I mentioned, for all his faults he has once more stepped up to say he will do everything he can to see the Scotland he quite obviously loves get the promises made, in full and on time. He may not be able to of course but at least he's put his name to it and dozens of other MPs haven't.

I'd probably have gone for the quiet life - and for that I admire his return to the front line. Because he doesn't have to.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »
Perhaps I should have said his Westminster sulk, and he certainly showed how ineffective Milliband really is.

Do I believe his promises.? Iv'e more faith in Santa Claus turning up on my doorstep with Rudolph.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2014, 09:15:10 AM »
I have to say that I was not a fan of Gordon Brown when he was our P.M. but I have been totally impressed with him as he stepped up to the plate in the Scottish Referendum and really spoke with great passion and skill for the No Campaign.   
I watched his latest speech yesterday and the more I listened the more I warmed to this man. He has said he is not going to take anymore positions of authority as he is now too old for that and too young to be an elder statesman.   Phil and I were saying what a good First Minister of Scotland he would make.
I also agree with Scunner, Gordon  has not been sulking.  We have seen him on our local T.V.  many times and read about him in the Scottish press doing his job in Fife as the local M.P.   

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »
Perhaps I should have said his Westminster sulk, and he certainly showed how ineffective Milliband really is.

Do I believe his promises.? Iv'e more faith in Santa Claus turning up on my doorstep with Rudolph.

I believe his promise that he intends to do everything he can to see this through  ;)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »
I have just watched Milliband and Harman backtracking on BBC News, with Harman saying we can't

rush these things and looking at it later next year. Long grass.? Gordon needs to have a word with them

as some are committed to a timetable and some are not.

I once believed Blair, Brown and some of the present shadow cabinet and their promises and voted for them.

Remember Tough on crime.? Education, Education, Education.? A Referendum if we're elected.?

No mention of uncontrolled immigration,signing up to the Human Rights shambles, rampant Health and Safety.

Santa Claus Rules.       
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:04:33 PM by kevin3 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf