Author Topic: My place overseas  (Read 26895 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: My place overseas
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »
I think nothing has changed in Uzumlu - it became popular (relatively) because land was dirt cheap compared with Calis/Hisaronu/Ovacik/parts of Fethiye and you could get much more building for your money. Then people had huge villas built on 2500m2 of land and then rattled around wondering why they bought such a big open plan place half way up a mountain that you couldn't keep warm in winter and cool in summer and they spent half of their retirement cleaning. It's too cliquey, too remote and too cold.

On the plus side, it's en route to the Pearly Gates.  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 11:40:20 AM »
I've always thought it should be renamed Marmite Valley   ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2015, 11:46:27 AM »
Agree there Liz.  Some people love it.  Personally, don't see the attraction, miles away up a mountain, cold in the winter and it seems, from this Forum, a lot of in fighting between ex-pats who live up there. 

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 12:14:28 PM »
Jacquie, it is beautiful here and the people here love it, if you don't fancy it fine.  We can live with that.  You seem very keen to have a dig at Uzumlu at every opportunity and its getting very very OLD!!!!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2015, 12:26:53 PM »
Its not an area I'd personally choose to live, for more than one of Keiths reasons!

I'm sure I was up there once, probably about 2002/3 or thereabouts when a friend was developing some land.  Didn't find it particularly memorable and never really paid it much attention since then until the various expat factions started to slug it out on here every so often.  All very unpleasant and not a good advert for potential purchasers.

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
Why am I getting picked on here??  I think perhaps Scunner and others have said more and even put pictures up.....
I may have in the past mentione this place, probably because of my friend's experience, but I am not writng about the subject insensately.
I seem to remember a very long thread about a bar and someone being beaten up.  I suppose that was written by me too??   
O.K. as Liz says it is Marmite...

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
In the interests of natural justice, fair play, balance and free speech etc, I would like an opportunity to submit my views:

The above caption (Koo Klux Klan) has been posted on several previous occasions.  How many I'm not sure, but it's getting very, very boring now. Dear Mr. Scunner, can't you come up with something new please? 

It's too cliquey, too remote and too cold.

You obviously don't like the people who live Uzumlu, so why don't you come out and just say that? Or better still, simply discard the Uzumlu section on this forum?

Too remote?  Can you please define what "too remote" actually means? Remote from what exactly? Do you mean away from the holiday resorts full of grockles?

Too cold? Colder than where? If you compare Uzumlu temperatures with Fethiye then yes, it is on average cooler.  But if you compare with average temperatures anywhere in the UK, it will be WARMER, SUNNIER, DRIER AND LESS HUMIDITY.

Too cliquey? Yes probably- but that is the same the world over in small towns and villages away from the mainstream.

I take the view that the technique that is employed to counter opinions that are not agreed with is to use "The Straw Man" argument which goes like this:

Quote from Wikipedia: "The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man" ;) and then to refute or defeat that false argument ("knock down a straw man" ;) instead of the original proposition."

And: "To be successful, a straw man argument requires that the audience be ignorant or uninformed of the original argument."

For the full item see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I don't even live in Uzumlu!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2015, 12:38:36 PM »
I'm not sure about the insulation on this one but the price is right.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 12:53:01 PM »
"The Straw Man" argument

Better not let him near the guys with the torches...

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf