Author Topic: Sea pollution ????  (Read 52850 times)

Offline johntaylor49

Re: Sea pollution ????
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 09:23:15 AM »
where is the new Hotel?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
Sounds like you follow the stain to the end and ... there it is!

Offline Blindside

• Newly Registered
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »
I've just been up parasailing and launched from what I think was the new hotel (which looks to have very good facilities which is just as well as it is completely isolated).

The slick/channel of sewage is really obvious from the air. As we passed over the top of it, under the parachute, I could see the speed boat that was dragging us go through the slick/channel and the brown waves that were created....

Looking behind us the channel was very clear and looks to originate some way out from the hotel. It is taken by the currents down towards Calis mainly but it also appears to go a little the other way too.

Not pleasant to think that people are swimming in that, even if it has broken up a little by the time it hits the shore.

Turtles vs Turtlesheads....

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 11:57:03 AM »
Hmmm think I may change my plans and go somewhere else this year? Seriously this will damage Calis, I was looking forward to swimming there but now will drive over to Gemiler or Olu Deniz instead and have already advised a lot of people I know were planning a late trip to go elsewhere until this is fixed!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 13:14:01 PM »
I wondered if this pollution might jeopardize Calis' Blue Flag status. I then found that it is not listed as having one. Is that correct? How does a Turkish holiday resort get away without Blue Flag status? As JT49 remarks elsewhere you might go to Marmaris for decent water. It has always surprised me that Marmaris, which is a busy port with many large cruisers calling, has such good seawater. It is very inviting. In my memory Calis has never been that. When I first starting visiting in the 1990s the manager of the Bambu Bar used to drive to Olu for a swim on his hours off despite being 50 yards from the sea in Calis.

Offline tamd

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 17:25:24 PM »
If this is spilling out from the new hotel, a I understand it is a Thomson hotel. Surely they should be doing something about this!

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 18:37:31 PM »
I have emailed Thompson for comment but without reply, I also submitted a trip advisor question asking about the pollution since the hotel has been in existence. Trip advisor refused to post my comments.

From what I read the local authority are aware of the problem, they can either ignore this and ruin the tourist trade or do something about it. They say money talks? We will see.

Offline tamd

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 18:56:15 PM »
I will e-mail Thompson also. I don't expect a reply but perhaps if we all do it they might take some notice.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 19:02:39 PM »
From what we have read. The Hotel have issued a denial and say that any problems were about the fact that they haven't got the correct permisions for the basement level. We saw raw sewage in the sea at Calis main Beach and a lower amount at Koca Calis where we always use to swim. This before the Hotel was built but it is so much worse this year.. The Lagoon is also clogged up with grease and sun oil and not all clear later on in the season...
The sea quality in The likes of Greece and Spain are superb compared to Calis.. We have seen the Brown streams coming from the boats from time to time. I thought that this was supposed to have been stamped on.
When going out on the boat trips you have to go quite a way  before you stop seeing the rubbish of bottles. carrier bags etc.. Same with the harbour in Fethiye... A beautiful place like Fethiye shouldn't be the state that the harbour is...

Offline apollo

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 19:08:15 PM »
I have emailed Thompson for comment but without reply, I also submitted a trip advisor question asking about the pollution since the hotel has been in existence. Trip advisor refused to post my comments.

I have done the same and have got the same results

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf