Author Topic: Important Information about driving licence  (Read 30172 times)

Offline Inspector

Re: Important Information about driving licence
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2016, 09:26:45 AM »
Yesterday I started to prapare a application file and completed today at 11.00 am.
But, Fethiye Trafic Office  couldnt get the application becouse of computer system problem. They requested us to come  next week.
Driving licence computer program doesnt accept foreigners licence change application. :-)
I wish they will solve the problem.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2016, 10:29:46 AM »
Sorry for the delay to those waiting...

People already with a Turkish license need to do and provide the following.

1. one photocopy of your kimlik - it doesn't say a colour copy is needed

2. two biometric photos - remember the larger than passport size is required

3. donate 2TL to the Police Foundation at Vakif bank

4. pay 13TL at the tax office for the new license

5. provide health report for a driving license from local family clinic - it doesn't say with photo attached

6. pre arrange an appointment via this web site below - this is written exactly as on the printed form but having checked it this link does not appear to work

http://www.surucurandevu.egm.gov.tr/

However I found this link which does work and maybe Inspector can confirm or not if this is the correct site for making an appointment.

https://www.egm.gov.tr/Duyurular/Sayfalar/Surucu-Belgeleri-Online-Randevu-Sistemiyle-Yenileniyor.aspx

Offline Inspector

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2016, 11:29:56 AM »
 www.surucurandevu.egm.gov.tr​ is the only web site to get appointment
It usualy doesnt work. :-)
You do not have to have appointment online. If you have appointment you will wait less at the Trafic Police Office.
If you go early in the morning 8.30 to 9.30 you can apply for renewal easily.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2016, 14:10:58 PM »
Visitors can drive in the UK on a Turkish passport - for up to 12 months from arrival date.

Residents can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence for 12 months from when you became resident

After 12 months you’ll need to apply for a provisional licence and pass the theory and practical driving tests to drive in Great Britain.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

Does it strike anyone else as bizarre that you can visit and/or reside in the UK for 12 months and freely drive around on a Turkish drivers license and at the end of twelve months you are required to apply in full as if you are a learner driver by applying for a provisional license which meant (in my day) you can't drive without another qualified driver next to you?

It implies the UK license is far superior to a Turkish one and yet it's good enough for the first twelve months!

Anyway, I am glad that Turkey hasn't made this a reciprocal arrangement, yet. That would really give us something to moan about...

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2016, 14:29:32 PM »
It implies the UK license is far superior to a Turkish one and yet it's good enough for the first twelve months!

Its nothing against Turkey Nichola, this ruling applies to ALL non EU or EEA licences.

JF

EDIT: Sorry, there are exceptions namely Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Zimbabwe.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2016, 14:49:14 PM »
Quite a few exceptions then   ;)

I just find it really bizarre that in the first year of living in a new country, where people drive on a different side of the road, with lots of new signs and conventions to get used to, like actually signalling before turning, not driving through red lights and giving way when approaching a main road to name a mere few examples that a license deemed unacceptable one year on is good for the first twelve months... Strange!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2016, 15:51:33 PM »
Quite a few exceptions then     ;)

Yeah, but with the exceptions of Andorra, Monaco and Switzerland, they are all either ex commonwealth countries or they drive on the left, like the UK.

JF

Offline Menthol

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2016, 21:32:39 PM »
Nichola did you actually have to surrender your UK driving licence to obtain the Turkish one?

It's just that my Avukat is saying you don't have to .... one of her other clients has both a Turkish licence now AND her old Aussie licence.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2016, 21:59:26 PM »
I haven't actually completed the process because the system wasn't working for foreigners but when the Police thought they were going to be be processing it they did take it and say to me that they would be sending it to the DVLA! Previously you didn't have to and the guy that does our insurance used to work for the Police and he said the same as your Avukat but in this case they are both wrong, when it comes to UK licenses. If not please let me know although I have reconciled myself to giving it up  :(

As I think John F or someone else said the UK government is asking for this to happen now. There are perhaps two reasons for this. One, as has already been said if you have two licenses then if one is taken away you could still drive using the other. Two, the UK government is planning to stop people that have lived abroad for more than four years access to certain benefits, like for example tax credits to top up lower than living wages paid by employers in the event that they return full time to the UK... Who knows what else they have in store for returners and what better way to know if someone is resident elsewhere and for how long than by requiring them to relinquish their driving license.

I am hoping Inspector will let us know when the system is working for us so I don't have to keep making unnecessary trips.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2016, 22:38:06 PM »
Two, the UK government is planning to stop people that have lived abroad for more than four years access to certain benefits, like for example tax credits to top up lower than living wages paid by employers in the event that they return full time to the UK

Nichola - I am struggling to understand why that is wrong. Surely it was people's choice to live abroad.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf