Author Topic: This Won't Help Fill the Hotels (Fairly Graphic Content in Link)  (Read 7644 times)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Re: This Won't Help Fill the Hotels (Fairly Graphic Content in Link)
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 18:21:58 PM »
The express is not the only paper that has a total dislike for Turkey, I would say most UK papers dislike Turkey. It is easy to blame the papers but what is going on in Turkey at the moment would not really entice anyone to go on holiday.

Yes, I understand that the holiday resorts are totally different to the rest of the country.Most people on this forum have a good understanding of Turkey and are not as easily influenced as those who are looking for a cheap 2 weeks in the sun. If I was heading off for 2 weeks my first consideration would be safety. When you read about military coups  and political leaders verbally attacking Europe and America it does make you think. When you read FCO advice and it is highlighting marches in Fethiye. Bombs going off in Istanbul and Ankara attacking tourists. You can understand why your average tourist would scratch Turkey off the list. I would not be too hard on them.

With regards to the comments on the article most are absolutely disgusting. It is only morons that would propose some of the actions suggested. I have visited many countries and I would put the Turks up there with the best when it comes to friendliness and hospitality.

I feel for the Turks trying to make a living out of the tourist industry. It is not easy in the good times and a large number will go under if the present situation continues.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 18:25:51 PM »
Also in Scotland a Turkish man who was an ex soldier has brutally murdered his estranged wife by stabbing her in the neck many times, then in the back and then beating her body.  He left her in her home with his children asleep upstairs. Luckily her new partner came to the house in the morning before the children woke up.
Not good news with all the press about Turkey.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-36978587

Why would/should this stop anyone going on holiday to the country of this psychopath's birth.

I think you need to read the remarks written under the newspaper articles to see why some people do not think Turks should be in the U.K.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 18:29:32 PM »
But the question was why would an act by a man of Turkish descent in the UK stop people wanting to holiday in Turkey, not why people might think Turkish people shouldn't be in the Uk...

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 18:39:19 PM »
I know but there were remarks about Turkey and Turkish people.   

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 14:42:45 PM »
As a student of History the rabble rousing of the media, especially the express, the encouragement of racism, bigotry and extremism of all kinds by politicians, especially Nigel Garage (deliberate misspelling coz he hates it!) , and others, the lack of education (our population is in my humble view less educated today than it was in the 1960'!) of the populace, all lead to violence and unrest as much as despotic leaders ......they cannot get there if the misguided people don't put them there! The anti-Turkish press began with the Brexit lies and has continued on, occasionally still maintaining 70 Million Turks are waiting to travel to Europe then rush our "Border" to claim Benefits  :)  :)  :) All symptomatic of growing unrest and a consistent lack of proper education that successive governments, too busy filling their pockets, have ignored.  Its appalling and I despise this anti-Turkish rhetoric we see...I for one am on my way to Fethiye soon and will delight in seeing my Turkish friends!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 18:53:44 PM »
Sorry but the anti Turkish feeling goes back much further than Brexit for many people (although I'm not surprised you put that red herring in). Try going to a Leeds game or even walk around Leeds with a Galatasaray shirt on. There are so many who would never set foot in the country because of that incident - over 26 years ago!

Many of those who have never set foot in the country have a preconceived idea that they are all horrible, dirty muslims. I've seen so many words like that branded about on social media that pre-date Brexit by years and I've tried arguing with a few but mostly they are so thick and bigoted that it's not worth the effort.

Yes the fact that Turkey were looking as if they were going to be fast tracked into the EU did have an impact on how some people voted. That's their right. It might be wrong in some people's eyes but I can see why some would be worried about that prospect to be honest.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 20:20:37 PM »

Brexit  will be blamed for anything and everything for years to come by the Remoaners. To blame Nigel Farage for

Turkeys woes defies belief. Turkeys woes lie with an individual nearer to home. The ever changing rhetoric coming

out from the EU regarding Turkey's membership /non membership will do nothing to allay peoples fears.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 14:49:50 PM »
Sorry but the anti Turkish feeling goes back much further than Brexit for many people (although I'm not surprised you put that red herring in). Try going to a Leeds game or even walk around Leeds with a Galatasaray shirt on. There are so many who would never set foot in the country because of that incident - over 26 years ago!

Many of those who have never set foot in the country have a preconceived idea that they are all horrible, dirty muslims. I've seen so many words like that branded about on social media that pre-date Brexit by years and I've tried arguing with a few but mostly they are so thick and bigoted that it's not worth the effort.

Sadly Stoop you are right.

I commented on something on Twitter yesterday and immediately began to receive quite personally abusive tweets from some chap in Leeds who a) was not involved in the original discussion; b) doesn't know me, nor do I know him; c) is a Leeds United fan.

It had absolutely nothing to do with Turkey, and yet one said: "Omfg ur in Turkey too explains soooo much. Leeds United, booooommmm'. Followed by rows of various emoticons. 

I knew both the men who were killed in 2000; they were from the village I grew up in. I also know how they generally behaved at football matches.

Some of my contemporaries from that time still attack me today for being so 'traitorous' as to move to a country responsible for the murder of two men who, while I absolutely do not condone what happened to them, equally do not deserve the almost saint-like status that has been conferred on them in some quarters.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 15:25:33 PM »
two men who, while I absolutely do not condone what happened to them, equally do not deserve the almost saint-like status that has been conferred on them in some quarters.

Nobody condones what ultimately happened to the two Leeds fans, but as a good friend of ours said at the time (she was skirting round the edge of the square trying to get home) the way the Leeds fans were behaving towards not just Galatasaray fans, but ordinary folks going about their business, she was surprised that only two had been seriously injured. 

JF

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 15:59:43 PM »
I stand by all I say about Despicable Me...er sorry, Nigel Garage LOL. However, the Brexit campaigners in general encouraged Xenophobia and are responsible for the rise of Bigotrty in the UK and that has also fuelled an anti Turkish totally unjustified feeling.

Now fill Hotels, well I am most of my friends who go to Calis every year are going, and apparently there is a healthy bookins tally
in Turkey generally???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf