Author Topic: New member saying "hello"  (Read 1526 times)

Offline nursejelley

New member saying "hello"
« on: August 31, 2005, 13:44:52 PM »
Hello there everyone.

My name is Amanda and my husband (Graham) and I have recently (this summer) bought a boat in Turkey which we have decided to leave in Fethiye.

So far we have had no time to spend in Fethiye - just 5 days, but we are looking forward to spending many fantastic hols in this area.  We will be spending every spare minute next year over there, and wish we could "live the dream" that so many of you are doing!

At the moment I am a nurse (you never would have guessed from my login!), and my husband works in the good old NHS also (he works in management - or as my colleagues like to say "on the dark side").

We are looking forward to 2 weeks hol in October (the best deal my husband could extract from an unsympathetic boss!), and hope to meet even more friendly people than we did in our last short stay.

Love to get any advice on places to go, things to see that may not be in the guide books, or even advice on airport transfers or other "essentials", as we are beginners to Turkey.  Particularly love to hear from other sea dogs.

Thanks for taking the time to get to know us, and hope to get to know all of you better in the future.

Amanda and Graham Jelley

Offline lmaddy

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 13:53:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum - its lots of fun and very informative.
You can use the search facility at the top to look for info or just ask away.

How wonderful to have a boat, it sounds like lots of fun, I am assuming you sleep on her and travel around the cost for your hols.

Like you we have to work - but so far I have managed to get out twice this year and am going for a 3rd time in a few weeks - can't wait.

Enjoy
Lorraine

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 14:52:29 PM »
hi amanda and hubbie and a warm welcomefrom me, fantastic A BOAT what is she called,you lucky things, you should find lots of help on the search facilities, but still ask away if you cannot find what you need to know.we have something in common i work for the nhs and my daughter in law is a nurse,chaos in our place at the moment with this agenda for change,as it effected you?

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 15:28:11 PM »
Hi Amanda, welcome to the forum, Sinbads your man, he's on here somewhere, he's the sailor, believe it or not,lol, landlubber myself, is it a good size, closest i came to it was Norfolk broads, when they made me walk the plank i gave up. ALAN

Offline nursejelley

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 15:59:29 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  Our boat is called "Sally", and is a 30ft Jeanneau Sunlight.  She's named after the little girl in the Snoopy cartoon - we've got a bit of a tradition of naming boats after Snoopy cartoon characters since I was a little girl (I like to think of this as quaint rather than touched!). We are planning to explore the coast in her with Fethiye as our base.  We will also use her to stay on and explore the Fethiye area with friends and family.  We are actually VERY EXCITED about it, as she was a bit of an impulse buy (the internet has a lot to answer for!).  It is certainly going to be better than trying to sail in the UK.

Oh and yes, Agenda for Change is a real nightmare, but as I work on the Nurse bank I have to pretty much take what I'm given and be grateful (luckily my boss has fought for a reasonable-ish deal!).  My husband has started a rebellion in his place of work since he discovered he could 'opt out', and now they are all doing it.

Thanks for the information about Sinbad, I will track him down and interrogate him in due course.
Amanda

Offline Orange

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 18:13:55 PM »
Hi Amanda and welcome to the forum - not surprised you cant wait till your next visit bet you will have a great time on your boat.  within the search facility you will find lots of useful info on places to go an things of interest.  Have fun

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 20:48:12 PM »
Hi there Amanda and Graham

A boat? How fantastic, you'll get to see some magnificent views when your'e out and about  :)

Offline TIGER

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 14:52:44 PM »
Hi Amanda
sailing around Turkey will be a great way to spend a hoilday,dont forget to jump ship and hit some of them top bars.I will remember to look out for the SCALLY on my next visit

Offline doll

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 15:22:43 PM »
hello nurse jelly
lovely to hear from you,did you sail your boat or was in moored here in fethiye?
i too used to work for nhs
but jumped ship as soon as i could.
welcome to the forum

Offline mary anne

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 20:43:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum a fellow sailor!! We fell in love with the Fethyie area through sailing from Gocek which has a fab marina and about a third of the price we pay in Scotland.(we have a Benetteau 36.1 called Moonfleet). Although we ended up buying an apartment  in Turkey as we couldn't justify two boats our dream would eventually be to have a boat out there and just move between the two. I'm sure you will just love the sailing there and there is nothing like falling out of bed in the morning into the warm sea. We will look out for Sally in the marina when we go out next week, as we spend most of our time hanging around down there. If you are interested in a swap some time or are looking for crew let me know.  good luck Mary

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf