Author Topic: Scotland votes NO tonIndependence  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Lotty

Re: Scotland votes NO tonIndependence
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 19:01:05 PM »
I'm confused Jacquie, I thought you hated him with a passion?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 19:50:36 PM »
He's either your cup of tea or he isn't (and his visions may be ones you share or oppose) - there's little grey with Alex Salmond. But you have to accept he nearly pulled this off - scaring the life out of the main UK parties who sat back and truly believed it could never happen. He brought half a million (ish) either no voters or don't knows to his side in literally a few weeks. Darling, Brown, Milliband, Clegg, all the rest of the No 'big hitters' failed to get/hold onto that half a million, they all in part let it slip away.

You will have noticed Alex Salmond wasn't particularly ably assisted. I guess that is Jacqui's point to a degree - without Alex, it's hard to see who they have to head the party with any great effect.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 20:55:23 PM »
I'm confused Jacquie, I thought you hated him with a passion?

I do Lotty, but I am speaking as a bystander and quite a happy one.  IMHO there is no one to take Salmond's place and I cannot see the SNP in the future ever getting the support they have received under Salmond.
When in 2000 he was replaced by Swinney it did not work, Swinney was very dull and Salmond had the charisma that Swinney lacked, which is why the SNP brought him back in 2004.   I cannot see him coming back now, which is why a lot of SNP supporters are very worried.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 21:13:39 PM »
In 1979, with a turn out of approximately 60%, the number of people who answered YES to the devolution questions were as follows

1. For a Scottish Parliament 1,775,045

2. For tax raising powers 1,512,889

In 2014 with a turn out of 85% the number of people who voted YES was 1,617,789.

Great job Alex !

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 22:09:17 PM »
Salmond has repeatedly throughout the campaigned that it as not about "him".

I believe that by deserting his country when it needs him, probably the most, he has demonstrated that to be un untruth

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 22:19:28 PM »
If he leaves he can become more vocal and unmanaged by process. He quite obviously doesn't think Westminster will keep their promises - promises that possibly cost him his independence dream - so expect a loose cannon role sometime soon...

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 23:21:52 PM »
I think his ambition, ego and his " place in history " were far more important to him

than any loyalty to his followers, they were just a means to an end.

No chance of a crown now so i'm off. Nice one Alex.         :(

Offline atinabay

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 00:00:52 AM »
I think his ambition, ego and his " place in history " were far more important to him

than any loyalty to his followers, they were just a means to an end.

No chance of a crown now so i'm off. Nice one Alex.         :(
I was just about to post this . You beat me to it.... Absolutely spot on.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 00:05:12 AM »
In 1979, with a turn out of approximately 60%, the number of people who answered YES to the devolution questions were as follows

1. For a Scottish Parliament 1,775,045

2. For tax raising powers 1,512,889

In 2014 with a turn out of 85% the number of people who voted YES was 1,617,789.

Great job Alex !

Is your point that he managed less people to vote yes 35 years later? Because I would argue you are wrong  :)

Offline atinabay

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 00:40:46 AM »
Just to add something which I see becoming an issue with some people in the future (and incidentally, quite rightly so).. I, like so many, many other people were voting no, long before the three wise men came up bearing gifts. We produced a no vote on the basis of staying together. In my case for things to remain the same. I wasn't  looking to gain anything. To be honest, when Cameron started to make promises it got me thinking about changing my vote................ I will not hold him to his promises as the campaign was  for 'Better Together'.......... NOT better off than the rest..... However, there's going to be an awful lot of folks up here who don't share my view  and will want what they've been promised....... And I agree with another post here that surely the rest of Britain  should have got a say in it as, on the off chance these promises are kept, it will affect their pocket.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf