Author Topic: Your Favourite Meals  (Read 6803 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Your Favourite Meals
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 21:25:28 PM »
Each Kokoreç establishment has a slightly different way of preparing and presenting it and, so far, I haven't had one I didn't thoroughly enjoy.

One of my favourites in Istanbul is Enstitü Restoran, which is part of the Istanbul Culinary Institute.  Not on this summers menu but they do a superb deconstructed kokoreç which really shows off the young chefs skill.  Well worth a visit when in town, prices are extremely reasonable for what you get - apart from the alcohol!

Another is the tavuk dürüm from Dürümzade, a little hole in the wall near the British consulate.  Takes the dürüm to a whole new level   :)

For a meat fix, the Bursa Iskender in Beşiktaş is hard to beat for...  yes, Iskender!

My number one in Istanbul is Giritli Restoran, but cant give you a particular dish as there is no menu, you take what they decide to serve that day.  Depending on how many are eating they serve between 15 and 25 different meze, followed by hot starters such as prawns or octopus then a main course.  Its all fish oriented and unlimited alcohol (beer, wine & raki) is included - you need to fix the price when you book, or before you sit down but usually between 95tl and 125tl per person (we normally pay 110tl with no surcharge for being Scottish).

I don't have many favourites in Fethiye, the Turkish food tends to be a little bit samey with a few notable exceptions:

Iskender from the Meğri Lokantası, about the only thing that'll persuade me to eat there now.

Soslu Beyti and the Adana from Paşa Kebap - never get there early enough for the Iskender anymore.

The Karaşık Izgara and the Ciğer Şiş from Mozaik Bahçe - best ciğer I've had for a while.

JF

Offline suehugh

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »
Any dish from the Cinar Locanta opposite the Uzumlu bus station in Fethiye.
Chicken wings at mosaic bache
Stuffed cous cous at mosaic bache
Turkish ravioli at mosaic bache
Homemade manti with garlic and yoghurt sauce provided by our Uzumlu neighbour
"Authentic" Italian lasagne at cafe Lup Lup in Uzumlu
 Interesting brunch of beef pieces in fried eggs from the Address bar in Fethiye.
And there's more!

Offline janmack

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 13:58:48 PM »
Moussaka at Seckin's in Gunlukbasi...just love it :D  Also Mozaik have a new dish of spicy minced meat and yogurt on their menu, can't remember what it's called, but it is amazing!

Offline DianaJ

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 19:10:42 PM »
Just love Creamy Chilli & Garlic Prawns from Obens also spaghetti Fruitti de Mar Casi di Mammas

Offline Ally B

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 12:31:36 PM »
Not everyones taste but the grilled calves liver at Obens is something else. But be early because he sells lots of it.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »
My first dish I have when I arrive in Turkey is usually Arnvut Ciğeri (Albanian Liver) - usually as a starter. I'll be trying to make my own, for the first time, tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 13:00:00 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 13:38:19 PM »
As from this year. Fillet steak with garlic sauce at none other than Dawn Beach.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 14:03:50 PM »
Garlic prawns, Chilli prawns and Calamari from Receps in the Fish Market.

any dish from Fatmah's on the Ovacik road, opposite the bakery.
Lovely Turkish couple and lovely Turkish food.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf