Author Topic: What will the exchange rate be  (Read 13883 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: What will the exchange rate be
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2013, 18:08:00 PM »
I use an N & P Debit card which gives what Colwyn is saying and it is normally a better exchange rate than on the street or in the banks in Fethiye.
I also use a Nationwide credit card for large purchases which is also zero handling fee and a very good rate in comparison.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2013, 18:20:52 PM »
I have elaborated so many times over the years, including a few months ago, that I fear I may be getting rather repetitive and possibly boring. However, you've asked and I'll answer.

What you need to have in your wallet is a debit card to use an ATM that has ZERO ATM fee charge AND ZERO exchange loading. It is the second one that most people don't notice. With bad banks they may charge you 1.5% with minimum payment of £1.50 just to use a foreign ATM. This is shown on your bank statement as "Withdrawn XXX TL. @ YYY exchange rate. ATM fee £1.50". OK, you are prepared to pay to access your own money? Fine. [I am not].

The second charge is the one you don't see and is the YYY bit. In the bad bank you are charged an exchange rate of 39.8p per TL. You look at that and you say "Looks OK. It was worse last year". But you may not realize I was using the same ATM on the same day and I was charged 38.6p per TL. Doesn't sound a lot? Well on a £100 worth (300TL) of withdrawal you have been charged £4.50 for the pleasure of accessing your own money. I haven't been charged anything. That is what I mean by the "right" plastic - in relation to debit cards. There are also "right" credit cards.

But I am going out into the sun-soaked garden now and will write more later.
Colwyn are you bilingual or do you just talk through your bum.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2013, 18:39:34 PM »
I use an N & P Debit card which gives what Colwyn is saying and it is normally a better exchange rate than on the street or in the banks in Fethiye.
I also use a Nationwide credit card for large purchases which is also zero handling fee and a very good rate in comparison.
Yes Bewya! This is one of the "right" solutions and, indeed, the one one I use. Thanks for posting it; it saves me from writing Part II to Menthol. But it may not be suitable for everyone. You have to put £500 into N&P every month for your "free" foreign money and you need a NW Flex current accout to get a NW credit card. I don't find either of these a problem. But I have no debt (not even on credit card), have never used an overdraft, am not looking for a loan, and don't worry about current account interest rate. Other people may have different circumstances and should do their own research

Offline Menthol

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2013, 21:56:32 PM »
Thank you Colwyn and bewva - very edifying. Not very interesting, but very edifying.  :-*

Offline sarahandmark

• Newly Registered
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2013, 09:21:02 AM »
Hi All
Whats the interest rate at the moment? We travel 16th july and are a bit unsure what to do.
Sarah x

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »
Hi All
Whats the interest rate at the moment? We travel 16th july and are a bit unsure what to do.
Sarah x

Am I right in assuming you mean the exchange rate?
If so its around 2.94tl/£ depending on where you change.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2013, 14:19:41 PM »
Colwyn are you bilingual or do you just talk through your bum.
Hi Des, I guess your new teeth are still irritating you?

Offline davidlocke90

• F##k Google, Ask me!
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2013, 15:56:49 PM »
Yeah i used Zumrut this year best rate (well we didnt go anywhere else so biased opinion :D)

His uncle isnt there anymore though which we got confused about on the first day but still a good rate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf