Author Topic: New Residents of Uzumulu  (Read 2323 times)

Offline hamilton

New Residents of Uzumulu
« on: May 24, 2007, 17:45:34 PM »
We are about to retire to Uzumulu, the house will be complete in about 3 months and we will be moving over sometime after that.

Tony & Jean

Offline wickwilly

New Residents of Uzumulu
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 20:27:34 PM »
Hi Tony and Jean. A warm welcome to the forum from another Uzumluite.

WW

Offline Fenlander

New Residents of Uzumulu
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 20:39:21 PM »
Hi Tony and Jean welcome tothe forum

Offline hamilton

New Residents of Uzumulu
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 21:19:56 PM »
We are realy looking forward to coming over, there are a few bits of advice from people living there regarding shipping furniture, elec goods etc., is it worth it. Or is buying new the better option, what is the quality/cost of furniture like.
Tony & Jean

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
New Residents of Uzumulu
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 21:52:08 PM »
hi tony and jean and welcome good luck in your new life in turkey

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
New Residents of Uzumulu
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 22:42:54 PM »
Hi Tony & Jean,

All the very best for your "new life" in Uzumlu. Bring some ear plugs though, it's one noisy place - I was there last week and a bee flew past making one hell of a racket  :)

To answer your furniture question (although it won't help) furniture is as cheap or expensive as you would like it to be, same goes for quality - and if you are prepared to venture out you WILL find what you want - pound for pound cheaper than the UK in 99% of cases.

Scunner

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
New Residents of Uzumulu
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 00:11:06 AM »
Hi Tony & Jean, we will be moving out to Uzumlu (early retirement) sometimein July.  We will not be taking any furniture (which is breaking my heart), we will start afresh.  We will take some ornaments, CD's, photos and kitchen equipment.  This is a fresh start and though it is sad to let things go, I realise I have hung onto some things for far too long (over 30 years) and we have seen some lovely furniture in Fethiye, so it's time for a change...

We move out of our house next week.  My head feels like it is in a mangle and I feel sure Dave is feeling it far worse than me.  Boy was I right when I said that if we had waited till we were at retirement age we wouldn't have had the bottle to do this.  This is almost killing us.

Best wishes to you both, and we will see you around in Uzumlu.  We will be the people with the Jack Russell and the Cairn/Westie cross, I will be the one trying to stop the Russell getting into scraps with the local dogs (she is a bit of a phychopath).

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
New Residents of Uzumulu
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 07:37:43 AM »
Friends of ours have just retired to live in Ovacik it cost them approx £2500 to ship their stuff out there plus just over £1000 tax when it reached Izmir.

They said that you don't get much if you try and sell second hand furniture which you don't-but after x number of years have you not had your moneys worth already?

I guess it also depends on the type of furniture you have too-I'm not sure traditional English furniture will look right in a villa in Turkey.

Whatever you decide enjoy... its a beautiful place.

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
New Residents of Uzumulu
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 12:42:31 PM »
Hi Tony and Jean, weclcome to the forum and very best wishes on your forthcoming retirement. More and more people seem to be moving to Uzumlu now.
Pete

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
New Residents of Uzumulu
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 21:15:25 PM »
Hi and a warm welcome to the Forum. Watch out if you plan to ship out things like TV's etc they attract a very high rate of Tax!  Do a search on Bandarola it will give you some figures...smaller items like DVD recorders can be brought in via your luggage ;)  Spend a couple of hours researching the Forum ...there is lots of info there. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf