Author Topic: Cement Factory Protest meeting  (Read 10683 times)

Offline Firo

Cement Factory Protest meeting
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2007, 06:53:32 AM »
Kenkay,
Why can the cement not come from the same place it is already delivered from, as already stated Turkey produces more than it needs. There is no shortage of cement and the only reason it is being proposed by Urantas is to cut their delivery costs.
Commercial greed above an area of natural beauty, locals health and damaging their way of living???? Make your own decision.
Thanks
Fi

Offline friar tuck

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »
Just imagine this view with 6 silos and a lime kiln on the scar that Urantas hve already gouged out of the mountain.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2007, 23:10:03 PM »
Cliff. Did I say that they should cut down all the trees and build whatever they like [?] No  8). If there is already a sufficiency of cement produced in Turkey then it must be in the wrong place. Firo suggests that it is based on greed in reducing the transportation costs. Or maybe it's so we can have 4 bedroom villas with pool for 150 thousand quid that would cost £300K in the UK.
As I said earlier I sympathise with your cause and I do not condone the destruction of areas of natural beauty (although I am not as impressed with Uzumlu as many).  
Considering the 40 km radius claim, there is probably not a cement production site in Turkey that is not controversial
Back to you Cliff, like it or not, I think their is a bit of NIMBY involved.
Good luck with your ongoing fight.
Ken  8)

Offline batman

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2007, 07:33:10 AM »
Kenkay, I can't believe you would not protest if someone wanted to put a rubbish tip or sewage plant outside your house let alone a cement factory,(in Turkey or UK)would you be a NIMBY? You have a concrete plant down the road but that was there before, so your choice. As you say, you wouldn't want the forest distroyed and everyone fighting against the factory dosen't either.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2007, 13:22:20 PM »
Voyager, N.I.M.B.Y.Not in MY Back Yard.
Gordy.:D

Offline carlan

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2007, 16:27:17 PM »
kenkay.... you wouldn't happen to be related to Mr Tippet would you? Just thought I could see a 'family trait' coming through in your posts!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 19:02:08 PM by carlan »

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2007, 21:11:10 PM »
Dear Carlan, I wondered how long it would be before someone raised my name again.I should point out that I have not contributed to this thread since 19 October as I have made my position quite clear and do not feel I have any more to add as things presently stand. However I do believe we are all being disingenuous if we say there is not some degree of NIMBYism in the actions against Urantas. Personally I see nothing wrong with the NIMBY argument - we are all human after all and it would have been more convenient if the proposed factory had been sited at Izmir, Ankara, in fact anywhere apart from Uzumlu!

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2007, 22:55:39 PM »
Carole, I just cannot see that. I think that I am the dead opposite of Mr Tippet.
Cheers
Ken :D

Offline carlan

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2007, 06:21:39 AM »
Hello Mr Tippet.
Of course there is an element of NIMBY to the argument, but I personaly, and I'm sure most other people, are far more concerned about the adverse affect such a factory would have on the local population, both in terms of livlihood and long term health. Uzumlu, as you know, is a traditional working village, it is the future well being of the local people that is the first concern for most.

Offline carlan

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2007, 06:45:51 AM »
Hello ken,
Sorry if I got you wrong :-\ Just thought you were under the impression that the majority of us were only concerned about cheap housing! I think the country and it's people were the first point of sale for most, I'm sure no one would buy a property and move to a country, say Iraq, just because the price is too good to miss! Basically, we are all concerned about the environment, as we are in the UK, and, here or there, big business should not be permitted to destroy communities in the pursuit of monetary gain. After all, they are not intending to produce a life preserving commodity, Turkey is inundated with cement!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf